Fort with a well-preserved series of ditches, three
on each side except for the SW side which has seven.
The fort itself is a parallelogram with four gates, on the
road from Bravoniacum to Magna, in the middle of a
lead mining area. Cohors III Nerviorum garrisoned the fort in the 3d c.
N. Shaw, “Excavation at Whitley Castle,
1957-8,” Arch. Ael
. ser. 4, 38 (1959).