Sent out its first colony.
In the year 1882 the Second Presbyterian Church sent forth its first colony, now known as the Church
of the Covenant.
It occupied the building erected on west Grace street, near Richmond College, the chief contributor being the late Dr. James McDowell
, son of Governor McDowell
, of Rockbridge county
Its first pastor was Rev. Peyton Harrison Hoge
, under whose ministry it was steadily advancing until his removal to Wilmington, N. C.
He was succeeded Rev. A. R. Holderby
, who was succeeded by Rev. J. Calvin Stewart
, under whose administration another locality was chosen and a new church erected.
This is now one of the most flourishing churches in the city.