A child Burnt to death.
--A distressing casualty occurred yesterday morning, at the old United States
Hotel, corner of Main and 19th streets, which resulted in the death of a little child, named Hannah Frances Wanicott
, daughter of a widow lady residing in the building.
The mother, we are informed, went from home in the morning, to go to market, leaving her three young children in the room, and locking the door.
While the children were at play, the clothing of one of them caught fire from the grate.
Their shrieks of terror attracted the attention of persons in the house, and when they gained admission to the room, a shocking spectacle met their view.
The little girl, named above, aged between three and four years, was lying on the floor, in agonizing struggles, her garments having been consumed by the fire, and her face, body and limbs terribly burned.
The little sufferer survived the accident but an hour or two.
The distress of the mother, on returning home, may be better imagined than described.