an artificial pond constructed by Domitian for
sham naval battles paene iustarum classium
(Suet. Dom. 4). It was
(Suet. loc. cit.),ἐν καινῷ χωρίῳ
(Cass. Dio Ixvii. 8),
and is usually located on the right bank of the Tiber without further
evidence (HJ 661; DAP 2. viii. 372-373 ; BC 1914, 381-382
; DuP 143).
Stone from this structure was afterwards used in restoring the circus
Maximus, which had suffered from fire (Suet. Dom. 5).