‘Where fell the brave’: dedicating the monument at Bull Run, on June 10, 1865 This shaft was erected by the officers and men of General William Gamble's Separate Cavalry Brigade, stationed at Fairfax Court House during the preceding winter and spring. It is twenty-seven feet high, made of chocolate-colored sandstone, and bears on its top a 100-pound shell. The shells on the pedestals at each corner are of similar size. The inscription reads—‘To the memory of the patriots who fell at Bull Run, July 21, 1861.’ The dedicatory exercises were conducted by the Rev. Dr. McCurdy, who read an appropriate service. After the singing of a special hymn for the occasion, the Fifth Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery executed a military parade and the Sixteenth Massachusetts Battery fired a salute. Judge Olin, who appears in white trousers and high hat, next delivered an eloquent address, and was followed by several generals. A little later in the day a second monument was dedicated on the field of Second Bull Run.
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.