‘Not in anger, not in pride: to heroes living and dear martyrs dead’ Dedication of First Bull Run Monument, June 10, 1865.—A little more than a month before Lowell read his lofty ode for the sons of Harvard who had fallen in the Civil War, the group here preserved by the camera assembled to do honor to the ‘dear martyrs’ who fell in the first great battle of the conflict. The site was on the hillside in front of the stone house, at the spot where on the afternoon of July 21, 1861, Ricketts and Griffin lost their batteries. In that battle the Federal forces had been entirely successful until early in the afternoon. Then the Confederates rallied on the brow of this hill, and the ground on which these men and women are gathered was the scene of a fierce struggle. The batteries were alternately captured by the Confederates and retaken by the Union forces, until the arrival of fresh troops in gray threw the Federal army into confusion and precipitated the panic of retreat. At the time
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.