previous next


In December, Sergeant Hickling took part in the ten-days' expedition to destroy the railroad-bridge at Gouldsboroa, during which he was engaged in four battles and marched one hundred and eighty miles. He was well during the whole march, but was attacked with typho-malarial fever a week after his return. During this week most of the sergeants in the company had been off duty, and an unusual severity of labor had devolved on him.

He remained eight days in the camp hospital, and was then removed to the Stanley Hospital in Newbern. His father reached him a fortnight later, and found him wholly prostrated by the fever, and with little prospect of recovery. A month later than this it was the opinion of the surgeons that he could not live in that atmosphere another week, while it was yet very doubtful if he could bear the transportation to his Northern home. He was, however, placed on board the small steamer Ellen Terry, on the 17th of February, under charge of his father and of Dr. J. Ware of Milton.

After a rough and comfortless wintry passage, he reached home on the 22d of February, and was borne into the house on his mattress, during a snow-storm, when the mercury stood at 8°. He revived a little the next day, but sank again, and for seven days lay wholly unconscious. In about four months, however, he could be lifted from his bed, and could sit up for a few hours each day. He slowly improved, but found himself afflicted with an utter helplessness of the lower limbs, pronounced by Dr. Brown-Sequard to be Paraplegia, or paralysis of the spinal cord, resulting from the fever.

For the four years following he remained in much the same condition, and was chiefly dependent for locomotion upon a wheeled chair. During two years of this time he remained at his own home, but was removed, during the summer of 1865, to the shores of Buzzard's Bay, in hopes of benefit from sea air. This failing, he embarked with his father on board the bark Fredonia for Fayal, October 20, 1865, and remained on that island till May 1, 1867, with one short visit to St. Michael's. He then returned to Boston, and continued to improve

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)
hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
John Ware (1)
Sequard (1)
Milton (1)
William Hickling (1)
Eliza Brown (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
May 1st, 1867 AD (1)
October 20th, 1865 AD (1)
1865 AD (1)
December (1)
February 22nd (1)
February 17th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: