previous next

July 2.

Between 3 and 7 o'clock this morning the troops which have been concentrating at Hagerstown and Williamsport, Md., for several days past, crossed the ford at the latter place. Gen. Patterson reviewed them as they filed past him.

The morning was bright and beautiful, and the soldiers were in excellent spirits; the advance took place before daylight, the post of honor being assigned to Captain McMullen's Independent Rangers, and the First Wisconsin, and the Eleventh Pennsylvania regiments. The advancing column consisted of the brigades of Abercrombie, Thomas, and Negley. The Independent Rangers behaved remarkably well, getting close up to the rebels, within a distance of only 75 yards. Abercrombie's brigade led the advance, and the casualties of the conflict were almost exclusively on the First Wisconsin and Eleventh Pennsylvania Regiments. Col. Jarrett and Lieut.-Col. Coulter led the skirmishers, opening upon them at 400 yards. The whole of the rebel forces at Martinsburg, consisting of four regiments of infantry and one regiment of horse, were engaged in the action.

They had with them four pieces of artillery, part rifled cannon, and were commanded by Gen. Jackson. The first city troops of Philadelphia were assigned a position near the United States cavalry, under Captain Perkins, and behaved remarkably well. The casualties on the Federal side are two killed and several wounded. Several of the dead and wounded of the secession troops were left on the field in their hasty retreat. In anticipation of a retreat by the Federal forces, the rebels had levelled the fences on both sides of the turnpike even with the ground, so as to cut them off in the event of their retiring to the Potomac.

The first stand was made at Porterfield Farm, on the turnpike, near Haynesville, where it was necessary to destroy a barn and carriage-house, to make a charge upon the enemy. Here the conflict was fierce, the rebels standing well up to their work, and finally slowly retreating. Knapsacks and canteens were hastily thrown aside as incumbrances to a backward march. The rebels left behind them a number of blankets, and other articles of value, indicating a heavy loss.

The Thirty-fourth Regiment, N. Y. S. V., left Albany for the seat of war. It is commanded by Colonel William Ledeu.--The Twenty-fifth Regiment N. Y. S. V., under the command of Colonel James E. Kerrigan, left their quarters on Staten Island, New York, for Washington.--N. Y. Tribune, July 4.

The steamer Cataline was burned at Fortress Monroe, this evening.--Philadelphia Press, July 5.

The Legislature of Western Virginia organized at Wheeling. Lieut.-Governor Parsley took the chair in the Senate, and Daniel Frost of Jackson was elected Speaker of the House.

Governor Pierpont's message was sent to both Houses, together with a document from [17] Washington, effectually recognizing the new Government. The message is a very able document and gives universal satisfaction. It is a succinct review of secession in Virginia, and of the causes leading to the formation of the present Government, and recommends an energetic cooperation with the Federal Government.--(Doc. 29.)

Twenty-seven thousand dollars belonging to the State were seized and carried to Wheeling by order of the Governor, from the Exchange Bank of Weston, Virginia, where it had been placed to the credit of the Western Lunatic Asylum by the State authorities. Capt. List was commissioned by Gov. Pierpont to go and take charge of the money, the work on the Asylum having been stopped, and there being reasonable apprehensions that the gold might fall into the hands of Letcher's government. The Captain proceeded to Grafton, and upon making known his object to Gen. McClellan, in less than twenty-four hours a regiment of men, under Col. Tyler, were on the march. The expedition left Clarksburg on Sunday evening, and marching all night, reached Weston the next morning, about five o'clock. The people were all asleep, but the fine band which accompanied the expedition aroused the drowsy population by playing the Star-Spangled Banner. Col. Tyler took possession of the place, and Captain List went down and demanded the money in the name of the State of Virginia. No resistance was made, and the money was soon given up. The troops captured some twenty prisoners, all of whom were released upon examination, except theo following, who were carried to Grafton and placed under guard: James T. Jackson, George J. Butcher, W. E. Lively, John Kearns, Jr., and J. Shumat.--Wheeling Intelligencer, July 3.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
July 5th (1)
July 4th (1)
July 3rd (1)
July 2nd (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: