previous next

November 7.

Gens. Grant's and McClernand's forces landed at Belmont at eight A. M., were formed into line of battle and immediately attacked the rebel works. They were met by the rebels in force, under General Cheatham, whom, however, they drove to and through their camp, captured a battery of twelve guns, burned their camp, and took the rebel baggage, horses, and many prisoners. Large bodies of rebels crossed from Columbus and reinforced those at Belmont, when another severe fight took place, and the National forces withdrew to their boats. Their retreat was well covered by the gunboats.--(Doc. 133.)

A large and influential meeting was held in Cooper Institute, at New York, to express sympathy for and take measures to furnish relief to those loyal inhabitants of North Carolina, who, deprived of their usual means of support, and overawed and crushed by rebels in arms, are reduced to great straits of suffering. The Hon. Geo. Bancroft presided. Eloquent addresses were made by the Chairman, by the Rev. M. N. Taylor, T. W. Conway, William Cullen Bryant, Gen. A. E. Burnside, Prof. Roswell C. Hitchcock, Dr. Lieber, the Rev. Dr. Tyng, and others. J. M. Morrison and W. E. Dodge, jr., were appointed to receive subscriptions and donations of supplies.

The New York Second regiment of Light Artillery left their camp at Elm Park, Staten Island, for the seat of war. Previous to its departure the regiment was presented with a stand of colors, the gift of Gen. Morgan, whose name the regiment bears.--The Fifty-eighth regiment N. Y. V., Col. W. Krzyzanowski, left New York city for the seat of war.

Gen. Hunter repudiated Gen. Fremont's agreement with Price, in Missouri, and in report to Headquarters assigned his reasons to be — that it would render the enforcement of martial law impossible, give absolute liberty to the propagandists of treason, and practically annul the confiscation act.--(Doc. 134.)

Two Federal gunboats went up the Cumberland River together as far as Tobacco Port, eight miles below Fort Donelson, Tenn., when one of them proceeded up the river within three miles of the fort, and lay there under the point ten minutes. She fired three cannon, and then started back down the river to Tobacco Port.--Nashville Gazette, November 10.

At a meeting of the merchants of Santa Fe, New Mexico, it was resolved that they would indorse for the National Government to any amount that may be advanced to the territory. This action was taken in consequence of the scarcity of coin, which has heretofore made up the circulating medium in the transactions of business, and has, from some cause, almost entirely disappeared.--N. Y. World, Nov. 29.

The New York Chamber of Commerce, upon the occasion of the retirement of Gen. Scott, adopted a series of resolutions highly appreciative of his great services.--(Doc. 135.)

This day a battery of two rifled cannon was opened from Gen. Rosecrans' position on the New River, Va., and silenced the rebel battery opposite on Cotton Hill. The rebel battery thus silenced had been opened on the 30th ult., and by its command of the only road by which Gen. Rosecrans' position could be reached from Gauley Bridge, it had maintained a siege ever since, and supply trains previously run at all hours had been run only at night. By its silence the “siege” thus established was raised.--(Doc. 136.)

The United States fleet, under command of Commodore S. F. Dupont, achieved a great victory to-day on the coast of South Carolina. The expedition arrived off Port Royal harbor, S. C., last Sunday evening, Nov. 3. The next morning, the Vixen and Mercury, with several gunboats, entered the harbor to take soundings, and were attacked by the rebel battery on Bay Point, known as Fort Beauregard, assisted by five rebel steamers, under command of Commodore Josiah Tatnall. A skirmish ensued, lasting till darkness came on. The following morning, Nov. 5, the whole National fleet went inside, and seven gunboats went up to make a reconnoissance and discover the location of the rebel batteries by drawing their fire. In this they were successful, and consequently withdrew at about nine o'clock. In the afternoon the heavy men-of-war moved inward to get into position, but the Wabash grounded, where she remained for an hour and a half. This circumstance postponed the general engagement. On Wednesday, the 6th, the day was stormy and unfavorable, and a council of war decided to “wait a little longer.” [70]

This morning, at nine o'clock, the fleet got under way, and soon after the rebels opened fire. The Wabash gave one broadside to Fort Walker, on Hilton Head, and another to Fort Beauregard, on Bay Point. The rebel navy also opened fire, but kept at a distance from the big guns of the National ships. The Wabash, Susquehanna, and Bienville swept down in line, and “delivered their compliments at Hilton Head, in the shape of ten-second shells, while the lively gunboats put in the punctuation points for the benefit of the rebel commodore,” at the same time enfilading the two batteries. The firing was now incessant, and a perfect shower of shot and shell fell inside the rebel forts. At noon, the three ships above named came down, and poured full broadsides into the two forts, the gunboats keeping their positions, and doing excellent service. The flag-ship, the Susquehanna, and Bienville went within six hundred yards, and made terrible havoc with their five-second shells, silencing several of the rebels' guns. This fire was continued for four hours, during which the National fleet delivered over two thousand rounds. The rebels fought with desperation, and inflicted considerable damage on the National vessels, nearly all of which were hit by shots. At three o'clock P. M. the guns of the enemy had been dismounted or silenced, and Commander John Rogers went on shore at Fort Walker, found it vacated, and hoisted the Stars and Stripes. A considerable number of killed and wounded were discovered, and it was estimated that the rebels must have suffered a loss of at least one hundred men killed and an equal number severely wounded. The rebels fled in the greatest confusion, leaving every thing in their tents, even to their swords, watches, private papers, and clothing. The loss on board of the National fleet was eight killed, and six severely and seventeen slightly wounded. Not one of the National vessels was disabled or destroyed, though several of them were badly cut up.--(Docs. 36 and 137.)

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
November 10th (1)
November 7th (1)
November 5th (1)
November 3rd (1)
30th (1)
6th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: