Union soldiers at Baton Rouge.The first picture was taken just at the close of the war in 1865. It is a remarkable and interesting picture. The Verandah House, the building shown on the left, is where General W. T. Sherman stopped in 1859, when he was Superintendent of the Louisiana Seminary of Learning and Military Academy. The group of colored people lining the sidewalk are waiting for their issue of rations. The skill of Lytle, the photographer, is shown by the fact that the man walking is hardly blurred and the mule's ears in the foreground might have been taken by an instantaneous shutter. The second view shows the home of the Union soldiers who remained in Baton Rouge from its occupation on May 12, 1862. Brigadier-General Thomas Williams had been assigned from Butler's force at New Orleans to assist Farragut to clear the Mississippi. Williams' headquarters was Baton Rouge, but during most of May, June, and July he was in the vicinity of Vicksburg operating in conjunction with Farragut's fleet. When he arrived at Baton Rouge at the end of July the barracks was almost a hospital, for half the men were on the sick-list.