previous next

[188] all around like leaves. I dashed through our line to the spot where the General had fallen, snatched up the sword and pistols, jumped upon my horse and was making back to our lines, when I hadn't got more than twenty yards when one of the pistols fell out of my hand. I quickly sprang to the ground, picked it up, when just as I did so a discharge of grape from a battery of artillery planted within a hundred and fifty yards from where I was, tore up the earth all around me; but I leaped upon my horse and reached our lines in safety, where I met one of the men who had volunteered to go back for the sword and pistols. He demanded me to turn them over to him. I said: ‘No; I will take them to the General myself.’ He replied, ‘I am your superior officer, and have the right to order you.’ I said, ‘Superior officer or not, you will not get this sword and these pistols unless you are a better man than I am, and I don't think you are.’

I then hastened to General Johnston, and we carried him several miles towards Richmond, to a house where we stayed all night, and had his wounds dressed by a surgeon.

Brought to Richmond.

The next day, the 31st of May, we moved him to Mr. Crenshaw's home on Church Hill, in Richmond, where he remained until he was convalescent, I remaining with him by his order until he recovered from his wound, except the time during the seven days battle, when he ordered me to report to General R. E. Lee as courier. General Johnston thanked me for recovering his sword and pistols, which were of the finest make, being a present from the inventor, Colonel Colt. The General made me a present of one of the pistols, and had on it engraved, ‘From General Joseph E. Johnston to D. L. Armistead,’ and on the reverse side of the breech ‘Seven Pines.’

On his recovery he also gave me a furlough to visit my home and two hundred dollars. The furlough was accepted, but the money I declined. When General Johnston was ordered to the command of the Western army, he offered to take me with him; but my friends didn't want me to leave the State, and I decided to remain. I have never met the General from that time until last year in Richmond at the unveiling of General Lee's statue. I also met him a few days later, the 30th of May, at Seven Pines, exactly twenty-eight years to the day from the time that I carried him off of the field.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Download Pleiades ancient places geospacial dataset for this text.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Joseph E. Johnston (3)
Robert Edward Lee (1)
R. E. Lee (1)
Joseph Eggleston Johnston (1)
Joseph H. Crenshaw (1)
Colt (1)
Drury L. Armistead (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
May 31st (1)
May 30th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: