previous next

[239] of the casements was planked up and we were put inside and a special guard looked after us, until we were sent to Fort Delaware, March 8, 1865.

On that day all the prisoners were taken out and placed on a steamer. The eight who had escaped and were recaptured were held back and afterwards taken out and placed on the bow of a boat in front of the pilot-house.

It was stormy weather, and we were very much exposed to the waves. Wave after wave four days repeatedly broke over us. We were guarded there until we reached Fort Delaware. March 12th.

The other prisoners were taken off and given other quarters in the barracks at Fort Delaware, but we, the eight, were taken to General Scheoff's headquarters and turned over with instructions to be kept in close confinement. The General inquired what were the charges against us. We told him we had tried to make our escape at Fort Pulaski. He said we had done nothing more than any prisoner of war had a perfect right to do, and told the officer in charge to take us to the barracks and give us the best quarters there. General Scheoff was from Almador, Va.

Nothing more than is common to prisoner's life occurred while we were confined at Fort Delaware, until the 17th of June, 1865, when all the line officers were called out and formed in a hollow square to take the oath.

My name was the first called. I was ordered to go to the barracks, get my baggage, and report to General Scheoff's headquarters. General Scheoff met me at the door and asked me if my name was George. I replied that it was. He remarked that he hated to give up, but that my brother had come for me, and he supposed I must go. My brother was Captain A. G. P. George, in the Sixtieth Virgina Regiment, and was with Lee when he surrendered at Appomattox. He had gone home to Princeton, Va., and did not know when I would get out of prison. From Princeton, he went to Washington and got a special release for me. I did not know he was present at General Scheoff's headquarters; had heard nothing from him since long before the surrender, and did not know but what he might be dead. My brother and I went from Fort Delaware to Baltimore. He went on to California, while I returned home.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Scheoff (5)
Fitzhugh Lee (1)
A. G. P. George (1)
W. T. Baldwin (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
June 17th, 1865 AD (1)
March 8th, 1865 AD (1)
March 12th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: