previous next

[70] agreeably to the request of the committee of arrangements, and that the schools have a vacation during that day—June 24.

The petition of John Tufts and others praying for a removal of the schoolhouse in Milk Row was referred to Messrs. Willard, Frothingham, and (later) Hawkins. This seems to be the first move on record looking to the establishment of the Prospect Hill school on Medford street. ‘Voted that teachers receive no scholar into school after twenty minutes past the hour for commencing school.’

The only reference to teachers within the peninsula this year was November 8, 1833, when James Swan was elected writing master at the Training Field school, Reuben Swan, Jr., writing master in the Town Hill school, and O. C. Felton as master of the school at the Neck. As the last-named did not accept, William D. Swan was put in charge of this school. All three teachers received a salary of $650, which was raised to $700 later on. About the time which we are considering, the school for girls, which had been at the Training Field, was transferred to the Town Hill side, and the boys' school at the latter place now occupied the newer and more commodious building at the Training Field. I find no mention of this change previous to the spring of 1834, but it may have been earlier than that.

December 30 it is voted that the seats in the primary schools are to have convenient backs added to them, but that the seats in the upper schools remain unaltered. March 31, 1834, a petition that James Swan be discharged from his school, signed by Bradbury Follet and others, was received and placed on file.

From the annual report read in town meeting that May, we learn that the average number of pupils in the ten primary grades is seventy to a teacher; that the Female school, now on Town Hill, with two male teachers, contains 240 pupils; that the Male school at the Training Field, with two teachers, contains 247; and the Neck school, with one master, 116. In the schools outside the peninsula there are 75, 127, 41, and 35, respectively.


The teachers for the summer term this year were as follows: Miss Abby Mead, re-elected to the Winter Hill; Miss Ann

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
James Swan (2)
Paul Willard (1)
John Tufts (1)
William D. Swan (1)
Reuben Swan (1)
Abby Mead (1)
Ephraim Hill (1)
Guy C. Hawkins (1)
James K. Frothingham (1)
Bradbury Follet (1)
O. C. Felton (1)
Ann (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
1834 AD (2)
1835 AD (1)
March 31st, 1834 AD (1)
November 8th, 1833 AD (1)
December 30th (1)
June 24th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: