Some old trees—number 3
The willows once growing on College avenue, near the golf grounds, were probably planted to protect a creek which ran into the Middlesex canal
to keep it supplied with water.
The canal was under construction early in 1800.
The Tufts College grounds, now so well adorned with trees, once presented a practically treeless hill.
Early pictures of it show the lines of stone wall which divided the farms, and few or no trees.
The last of the walnuts, which gave the name to the hill originally, were cut down by the soldiers encamped on Winter Hill
for their log huts and back-logs.
Aaron B. Magoun
gave to the college in its first year a tree for every student from his nursery on Winter Hill
, one of the trustees, superintended the planting of most of the trees on the hill, and set out the row of willows on College avenue, towards Medford
of the Universalist societies in the vicinity of Boston
used to have ‘planting bees,’ with a public celebration and the planting of trees, from time to time.
The row of elms set in front of the house of the first president are still standing, though the house has been moved away.
Of the tract formerly known as ‘Polly Swamp,’ a small piece, half an acre or less, remains on Albion street. A few oaks and some underbrush make a little spot of green, and eight cedar trees may be found in the vicinity.
A few large elms, undoubtedly some of the original swamp, still grace several of the yards.
This is all that is left of a large tract which once afforded fine cover for quail, which, in the memory of a well-known resident of Somerville
, used to be seen crossing what is now Highland avenue.
On the southerly side of Broadway
, not far from Magoun