previous next

[73] Gardner schools the number of pupils was 80, 116, 29, and 30, respectively, making a total of 1,625.

During the year Nathan Merrill, of the Town Hill school, and William D. Swan, of the Neck school, asked for more salary, and it was voted to give each $100, in addition to the $700 they then received. The primary teachers presented a petition for more pay, stating as the cause the high rate of living and the additional quantity of fuel which has been needed in consequence of the unusual cold weather. It was voted to give them $10 each, and to defer the subject of a greater raise to the next town meeting. Edwin Munroe and others of Milk Row district petition that the trustees will recommend the expediency of another school, Oliver Holden and others ‘urge the removal of the cupola and bell from the Town Hill school, as it obstructs the view of the dial on Rev. Dr. Fay's church from the inhabitants in the north section of the town. The boy who rings it has to go some distance. He is consequently unable to return on time to commence his studies with the rest of his class. It is also an interruption to the female department.’


The teachers for this summer outside the peninsula were: Miss Abby Mead, of the Winter Hill school; Miss Ann E. Whipple, of the Milk Row; Miss Burnham of the Russell; and Miss Wyman, of the Gardner. In accordance with the vote of the town, Messrs. Warren and Valentine were requested to look up the law relating to the establishment of high schools. February 23, 1837, they reported in favor of such a school, and their report was presented at the next town meeting.

The formation of a new district school in Milk Row by a division of the district, as referred to the trustees by the town, was next referred to Messrs. Allen and Underwood as a special committee to consider the matter and report later. They found, May 30, ‘that the number of scholars warrants a division of said district, commencing at a point in the Russell district, thence running easterly south of John Tufts' house to the south side of the wind mill on Prospect Hill; thence northeast of the house ’

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
February 23rd, 1837 AD (1)
1837 AD (1)
1836 AD (1)
May 30th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: