The teachers in the outside schools for this year were: Miss Mary E. Brown
, at No. 17; Miss Leonora Skilton
, at No. 18,— appointed March 13, to succeed Miss Sylvester
, who was transferred to the Warren school; Miss Elizabeth P. Whittredge
, at No. 19; Miss Sarah M. Burnham
, at No. 20; Miss Elizabeth A. Caverno
, at the Russell district.
According to the annual report, she was succeeded for the winter term by Levi Russell
, but by Philemon R. Russell, Jr.
, according to the records.
Miss Charlotte Reynolds
taught in the Gardner district.
She was succeeded by a male teacher, to begin the first Monday in December, and continue four months. A. O. Lindsey
, a pupil teacher of the Harvard school, was asked to take the position, at $30 per month.
Only a few references to teachers within the peninsula are noted.
Lewis B. Munro
and John A. Sanborn
are made pupil teachers at the Winthrop school, with a salary of $50 each.
Lydia W. Locke
, of primary school No. 16 is succeeded August 30 by Hannah S. Austin
Previous to this date, Jane M. Burckes
, a primary teacher, is mentioned, and later in the year Charlotte Bracket is appointed to primary school No. 21.
The number of children in town from four to sixteen on May 1, 1841, was 2,719.
The summer vacation was from August 16 to August 30.
Teachers of primary schools hereafter are to be allowed $2 per year for building fires, but nothing is to be allowed for sweeping.
The trustees assigned to outside schools (beyond the Neck) were: Messrs. Magoun
and Francis Bowman
to the Russell and Gardner districts, and Messrs. Allen
to the Prospect Hill
No. 17 was under Mr. Bowman
's supervision, No. 18 under Mr. Magoun
, and Nos. 19 and 20 under Mr. Allen
February 28, 1842, an invitation to the board of trustees and teachers was received from the mayor of Salem
to attend a celebration on the occasion of the opening of several new schoolhouses in that city March 1, 1842.
It was accepted.
There is no reference on the records of the trustees to the important fact that the schools ‘without the Neck,’ after this