previous next

[21] at No. 5, and Miss Ann Brown at No. 4 opened their schools. The last mentioned, being transferred to one of the primary schools on the peninsula, was succeeded by Miss Elizabeth Gerrish, July 3. About this time Mr. Kelley resigned, and Chester Adams was assigned to his place on committees. At the same meeting it was voted to authorize the treasurer to purchase three maps of the world and three of the United States for the three grammar schools. The outside schools had their usual fall examinations in October. Dr. Hurd was authorized to secure teachers for the winter school in wards 4 and 5. Ira Stickney was engaged for the Milk Row school, and Joel Pierce for the Winter Hill road. The former was relieved February 5, 1828, on account of ill-health, and the latter probably did not serve that season, as the teachers, according to pay-roll, were Philemon R. Russell, Jr., $124, Bowen A. Tufts, $98, and A. G. Hoit, $137.60. Bills approved: Elizabeth D. Gardner, $63.40; Ann E. Whipple, $80; Susan R. Warren, $80; Elizabeth Gerrish, $52.31.

In the autumn of 1827 the people at Milk Row were allowed to use their schoolhouse during the recess for a private school. No 2 primary school was vacated by the death of Miss French, and Miss Ann Brown was given the position. ‘The trustees have considered it expedient to, continue the children in the primary schools until they are eight years old.’

In the eight primary departments there are 533 scholars, with from thirty-five to seventy-five in each. In the three grammar schools there are 691. ‘The trustees call attention to the poor state of the school on Town Hill. The interior was originally intended to meet the purposes of a schoolhouse, and to accommodate the town with a place of meeting to transact the public business, and so it has been used many years. The forms and desks were always inconvenient, and are now so much worn as to be entirely unfit for use. The floors and stairs are also in bad condition. The expense of refitting will be $500.’ The next year we learn that these repairs exceeded the appropriation by $180.

In consequence of the unsatisfactory conditions at the

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
Winter Hill (Wyoming, United States) (1)
United States (United States) (1)
hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
February 5th, 1828 AD (1)
1827 AD (1)
October (1)
July 3rd (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: