being the first, and the Baltimore
Light Artillery the second.
The rendezvous was at Ashland
, whither recruits were conveyed as fast as enrolled.
The company was ordered to Camp Dimmock for instruction on the 4th of November.
On the 15th Lieutenant H. A. Steuart
left for Maryland
to obtain medical supplies and raise recruits for the Third Maryland Artillery, but was captured at Millstone Landing, on the Patuxent river
He was imprisoned in the Old Capitol at Washington
, and was there killed while attempting to make his escape, about a year after.
Such are the fortunes of war.
On the 4th of December the company was ordered to Camp Lee, at the New Fair Grounds
, two miles from the city, where more comfortable winter quarters were obtained.
Nothing of importance here broke upon the routine of camp life.
Among the recruits who were constantly coming in was Albert T. Emory
, of Maryland
, also a relative of General Emory
, of the United States army.
The company was mustered into the Confederete States
service as the Third Maryland Artillery, on January the 14th, 1862, to serve during the war. The following is the list of the officers at that time:
Captain, Henry B. Latrobe
, of Baltimore, Md.
; Senior First Lieutenant
, Ferdinand O. Claiborne
, of New Orleans, La.
; Junior First Lieutenant
, John B. Rowan
, of Elkton, Cecil county, Md.
; Second Lieutenant
, William T. Patten
, of Port Deposit, Cecil county, Md.
; Orderly Sergeant
, William L. Ritter
, of Carroll county, Md.
; Quarter-Masters Sergeant
, Albert T. Emory
, of Queen Anne's county
, Md; First Battery Sergeant, James M. Buchanan, Jr.
, of Baltimore county
, Md; Second Battery Sergeant, John P. Hooper
, of Cambridge, Md.
; Third Battery Sergeant, Ed. H. Langley
, of Georgia
; Fourth Battery Sergeant, Thomas D. Giles
, of Delaware
; Battery Surgeon, Dr. J. W. Franklin
, of Virginia
The company consisted of ninety-two men, exclusive of the commissioned officers.
Of the former, about twenty were from Maryland
, and ten from Washington
or its vicinity.
The battery consisted of two six-pounder smooth-bores, two twelve-pounder howitzers, and there were afterwards added two three-inch iron rifle pieces.
To the West.
On the 4th of February, 1862, the battery was ordered to report at Knoxville, Tenn.
, and arrived there on the 11th.
It was quartered first at Temperance Hall
, and afterward at the vacated residence of