Description of the memorial.
The memorial consists of a pedestal surmounted by a bronze figure of an artilleryman eight feet in height, and the site is the triangular plat bounded by Grove avenue, Park avenue and Harrison street, which has been dedicated to this use by the City Council and designated as “Howitzer place.”
The statue represents the figure of a young man of about twenty years, “No.
I” at the piece.
The face is not of the conventional classic form, but was modelled from a typical face characteristic of our own people.
The pedestal is in the classic style, but varies notably from any other work of the kind in the city.
It consists of a base, die (bearing the inscription: ‘To Commemorate the Deeds and Services of the Richmond Howitzers
of the Period 1861-1865’), triglyph course, and cap, and is elevated on a mound about three feet high.
The whole structure is nine and one-half feet in height, and, including the statue, seventeen and a half feet. On either side of the die there is a bronze medallion eighteen inches in diameter.
One reproduces on an enlarged scale the Howitzer badge, with cross cannon and the motto: “Cila Mors Aut Victoria Lcla,Zzz
The other bears the cross, saltire, of a Confederate battle-flag, and is encircled by the legend: ‘From Bethel
These medallions were modelled entired by Mr. William L. Sheppard
, formerly an officer in the Second company of Richmond Howitzers, and who is well known in the artistic world particularly as an illustrator of books.
He also designed and made the drawings for the pedestal.
The eight foot bronze is a reproduction by Buberl
, a New York sculptor, who modelled the Hill
statue, of a statuette modelled by Mr. Sheppard
The upper part of the revetement of an embrasure indicates that the soldier stands on a breastwork, which he has mounted to gaze upon the retiring foe. At his feet the fragments of a shell embedded in the earth speak of a recent engagement and indicate good practice by the enemy.
At night the Howitzers and guests enjoyed a sumptuous banquet at at Belvidere
hall, and speeches and anecdotes added to the zest of the occasion.