Black Horse Troop.
[from the Baltimore, Md., Herald, February, 1902.]
Some Reminiscences of this famous command.
One of the most gallant and picturesque contingents of the Army of Northern Virginia was that famous company of cavalry known as the Black
Horse Troop, which won such bright laurels for its daring exploits and the valuable aid it rendered the Confederate
commanders in some of the greatest engagements of the Civil war.
In many respects, it was a remarkable body of men, composed as it was of handsome, strapping, debonair Virginians
, admirably horsed and equipped, in whose nature the spirit of chivalry was an abiding trait that marked the fight of their banner from the outbreak to the close of the rebellion.
Recruited from the best blood among the young planters and yeomanry of the Piedmont
region, as a company they were practically ‘free lancers;’ courage came easy to them, and no braver band of cavaliers ever followed the plumes of Rupert or of Arthur
They wielded their sabres like the cuirassers of old, and used their pistols with the truth and nerve of expert marksmen.
So familiar were they with the country in which they operated that they kept the enemy constantly speculating on their movements by checkmating him at every point in the game of war, and achieved such prestige by their strange lobiquity and strategem that the name of their little legion among the enemy became a watchword for danger and a signal for action.
The Black Horse was organized at Warrenton
in 1859, just two years before the war cloud broke over the land, and first figured at Harper's Ferry
in the John Brown
Colonel John Scott
, of Fauquier
, was its first captain, and gave the troop its name.
, who had retired from active life, was for a generation a conspicuous figure in that section of the State
as Commonwealth's Attorney, and is known as the author of The Lost Principle
and a Life of Mosby
On the 16th of May, 86, at the Fauquier White Sulphur Springs
, reorganization was affected with requisitions from the Warrenton Rifles and the Powhatan Guards
, of Southwestern Virginia