previous next

Revised by Colonel Winfield Peters, of Maryland Line, member of Historical Committee, etc., United Confederate Veterans, Baltimore, Md., February, 1903.

This renowned battery grew out of the Newtown, Va., Battery; when, at Centreville, Va., in November, 1861, it was changed to a horse battery (every man mounted), under the command of Captain John Pelham, and was attached to the cavalry at the instance of Brigadier-General J. E. B. Stuart, and the battery was known as the Stuart Horse Artillery. Other horse batteries, uniting with Pelham's, formed the battalion, Stuart Horse Artillery, and Pelham was promoted to major.

Major John Pelham was killed in the cavalry battle at Kelly's Ford, Va., March 17, 1863.

Major R. F. Beckham (formerly Captain of the Newtown Battery) succeeded Major Pelham, April 8, 1863, and was relieved in the fall of 1863. Major R. Preston Chew succeeded Major Beckham in the spring of 1864, and, on the recommendation of General Hampton, Major Chew was promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel, August 10, 1864.

Captain James Breathed succeeded Captain Pelham as battery commander. Captain Breathed was promoted to major, Stuart Horse Artillery Battalion, in the spring of 1864, serving until the end of the war.

By order of General Stuart, Private James Breathed, Company B, Twelfth Virginia Cavalry, was transferred to Pelham's Horse Battery, November, 1861.

Major Breathed died at Hancock, Md., February 14, 1870.

Captain P. Preston Johnston succeeded Captain Breathed as battery commander. Captain Johnston was promoted to major, Stuart Horse Artillery Battalion, in the fall of 1864, serving until the end of the war. Now living, and the only surviving officer of the battery.

Captain Daniel Shanks succeeded Captain Johnston as battery commander in the fall of 1864, serving until the end of the war.

Shanks had served as corporal, Company H, and as color-corporal in the First Maryland Infantry, June 18, 1861, until June 18, 1862. He was then honorably discharged, and thereupon enlisted in Captain Pelham's Battery.

Captain Shanks died in Leonardtown, Md., July, 1892. First Lieutenant, William Hoxton. Wounded badly at Trevillian Station, Va.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: