This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
[p. 90] what is now Maverick street. Here was born, on Nov. 4, 1808, Samuel Lapham (2d), who became apprenticed to Thatcher Magoun, and, after serving his time, started business on his own account. He built his first vessel, the brig Nabob, in 1830, at which time he purchased the yards and residence at the corner of Cross and Ship streets. The ship Magnet, his twenty-third vessel, launched in 1856, was the last vessel built by him or in his yards. He then retired from the business of building vessels, in most of which he was part or sole owner. He built several ships, the ‘Argonaut,’ ‘Don Quixote,’ and others, for Mr. John E. Lodge, the father of Senator Henry Cabot Lodge. Mr. Lapham was the first chief engineer of the Medford Fire Department. He died at his residence May 24, 1886. Of all the homesteads on old Ship street, that of Mr. Galen James (Deacon James) stands out clearest in memory, situated at the corner of what is now known as Foster court. It was imposing; a large brown house, a long low ell connected with shed, carriage house and barn of ample proportion shaded by large elms. West of the house, along the street, an apple orchard, and to the south the marshes and river. Mr. James, born in Scituate in 1790, came to Medford in the early years of 1800 and learned the ship-building trade of Thatcher Magoun, in whose family he lived while so doing. He built his house in 1820. He formed a partnership with Mr. Isaac Sprague and they started a ship-yard in 1817, the third in Medford, at the foot of what is now Foster court. Their first vessel was built in 1816, named the ‘Bocca Tigris;’ the last in 1842, the bark Altorf. Several of their vessels were built for Mr. Joseph Lee, of Boston, a bachelor of eccentric character. As was customary, Mr. James had a number of apprentices who lived with him, including his own brothers. He had a long, old-fashioned table which would seat
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.