the engineers they were disbanded for disobeying the order of the engineers at a fire on the plains, Mr. Hugh Nugent
's house on Cherry street.
Engine No. 2
, ‘General Jackson
,’ was first located in a building near the Meeting-House brook
at the foot of Marm Symond's hill, and after a few years was relocated in the rear of the First Parish meeting-house.
They by their records were organized in 1808, and held their first meeting at the house of Mr. J. Johnson
, where it was voted that Zaccheus Wyman
be master of the engine and James T. Floyd
The following persons were appointed by the Selectmen
to constitute the engine company, viz.: Zaccheus Wyman
, James T. Floyd
, John Symmes
3d, John Dickson
, William Harris
, Jonathan Brooks, Patrick Roach
, Joseph Bucknam
, Joseph Wyman, Jr.
, Isaac Floyd
, Isaac Brooks, Leonard Bucknam
, Samuel Teel
Jr., Daniel Wier
In their records the engine is sometimes called the Western Engine Company
They held their meetings the first Monday in every month at the houses of the members or at the hotels in the town.
In January, 1820, the Selectmen
appointed the following persons as members of the company, viz.: William Butters
, Ebenezer Putnam
, Cornelius Bigelow
, Abial Butters
, Henry Woodwarth
, James T. Floyd
Jr., Benjamin Floyd
2d, John M. Kuhn
, Oliver Wyman
, William E. Otis
, Marshal Symmes
, Sewall Pierce
, Thomas Calf, Edward Hudley
Thus it seems that the Selectmen
, with the approval of the engineers, appointed new men every year or two which was in accordance with the act of the General Court.
This company voted to disband on the twenty-second day of December, 1859, and so notified the Board of Engineers.
Engine No. 4
, ‘J. Q. Adams
,’ was located at the Ship Yard
nearly opposite Park street, and having no