This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
[p. 30] very interesting. At the close of the afternoon meeting supper was served in the vestry. Toasts were responded to by the Rev. W. A. Start, Rev. J. M. Usher, Rev. Mr. Potter, Rev. R. Perry Bush, Rev. William H. Rider, Rev. Dr. Emerson, Rev. C. W. Biddle, Rev. Charles Skinner, and Rev. Henry C. De Long, of the Unitarian Church, Rev. G. C. Osgood, of the Methodist Church, and Rev. J. P. Abbott, of the Baptist Church. Addresses and music, and an original hymn by Dr. J. G. Adams, filled the programme for the evening. Letters were read from some of the ex-pastors unable to be present. Rev. G. V. Maxham, Rev. Richard Eddy, and Rev. Eben Francis were present, and made appropriate remarks. In the fall of 1882 the Rev. R. P. Ambler was again called to our church, and remained until 1886, when he removed to Florida, where he still lives. At this time the Rev. J. B. Reardon, attending the Divinity School at Tufts College, was engaged to supply the pulpit, and during this engagement the remodelling of the church was effected as already alluded to. The alterations having been completed, the church was re-dedicated Feb. 1, 1887, when appropriate services were held afternoon and evening. In the afternoon Rev. Charles W. Biddle, D. D., of North Cambridge, delivered an able address—subject, ‘The Power of Expression in Christian Faith and Fidelity.’ He was followed by Rev. A. A. Miner, D. D., of Boston, and Prof. Charles H. Leonard, of Tufts College, who each delivered able addresses, followed by a general conference. At 6 o'clock, by invitation of the ladies of the Society, about two hundred and fifty persons partook of a bountiful collation. In the evening the dedicatory services were held as follows: Invocation by Rev. Henry C. De Long, of Medford; Scripture reading by Rev. F. A. Gray, of Arlington; sermon by Rev. Richard Eddy, of Melrose;
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.