suction hose was used for the watering of ships in course of construction.
Engine No. 3
,’ was organized in 1855, and at a subsequent meeting the following officers were elected: Joseph W. Mitchell
, foreman; Jonathan Oldham
, first assistant foreman; Almon Black, second assistant foreman; Samuel N. Sylvester
, clerk; and Hiram Simmons
They continued their organization till the year 1868.
This company was composed of persons who had seen service in the other companies of the department, many of whom were prominent in the higher offices of the town.
They also contributed largely in filling the quotas of the town in the Civil War
, many never returning to their homes again.
Capt. Joseph W. Mitchell
remained at the head of the company during the entire time of their organization, and was highly respected and esteemed.
The members of the company were ever watchful and zealous for the welfare of those who had gone to the front in their country's service, and careful that those left behind did not suffer.
Money, time, and service were not spared in endeavors to show an appreciation of the sacrifice made for their country's cause, and the same may be said of all the companies, for members enlisted from them all, and many after having faithfully served their country returned home to the peaceful pursuits of civil life.
In the year 1862, by vote of the town, the Selectmen
caused to be constructed in different parts of the town cisterns or reservoirs to be used only in case of fire for the engines to draft from.
Thus was service rendered to the town by the volununteers of the department till the introduction of steam fire engines
, which in a measure dispensed with the services of those who had bound themselves together for the love of rendering service to those in distress and danger from the fiery element.