chairs, coverings for pulpit and curtains, one Bible and two hymn books, two contribution boxes, two stoves, and a fire set with brass knobs completed the furnishings.
The top of the stove in the meeting house was thirty-seven and a half inches long and twenty-two wide.
Sometimes, Mr. Blanchard
records, lectures were given in the church on secular subjects.
Under date of Oct. 11, 1833, he writes: ‘Lecture in vestry by M. Fowle
on rocks, shark's jaws, mountains &c.’
In Mr. Blanchard
's day people manufactured their own ink, and Mr. Blanchard
, who was a fine penman, made his very carefully by the following receipt: 2 oz. nut gall, 1 do. Copperas, 1/2 do. gum arabic to 1 qt. Rain Water.
Among Mr. Blanchard
's friends and patrons were Governor Brooks
, John Bishop
and Dudley Hall, Dr. Daniel Swan
and his brother Joseph, Rev. Charles Brooks
, Major John Wade
, Turrell Tufts
, and others.
In 1815 Mr. John Bishop
, Richard Hall, Major Wade
, and Samuel Kidder
still wore small clothes.
In 1820 Major Wade
was charged ‘for seating and repairing small clothes 37’ It is said that Major Wade
was the last man in Medford
to wear the ruffled shirt, small clothes, and shoe buckles of the colonial period.
's price for making a surtout coat was three dollars. In 1815 a ‘great coat’ was provided with silver hooks and rings.
's had a large cape and velvet collar.
In 1816 Mr. Benjamin Floyd
, 3d had a ‘swelled edge coat, and a pair of trimd pantaloons.’
Making a bound vest cost twice as much as a plain one.
When pockets were put into coats there was an extra charge made.
Breast pockets were mentioned in 1817.
Vests which were buttoned were especially noted.
One set of buttons often did duty on several coats.
‘thrible gilt buttons @ 4 shillings a dozen’ would wear out more than one.
Hooks and eyes were first mentioned