called, bounded, westerly on land in possession of Jonathan Tufts
10 1/2 rods; northerly on said Tufts
' land next to the Marsh
7 rods, together with a two pole way leading down to the River
above the upper side of the Bridge
: easterly on the County road 10 1/2 rods: southerly upon the way that leads to the Ford or landing place
9 rods, which way is laid out two rods wide.’
The dwelling house above described will be recognized by old residents of the city as that of Mr. Richard
and Miss Emily Tufts
, which stood where the brick engine-house now stands, and which was destroyed in the great fire of 1850.
The foregoing evidence proves conclusively that the southerly end of the ford was located as before stated.
There is, however, no such positive evidence as to the landing on the north side of the river.
It is well known that a landing place once existed there.
But conjecture becomes certainty when we consider that the northerly end of the ford must have been located as before stated, for the very good reason that it could not have been located elsewhere, taking into consideration the fact that no gravel beach existed on the north side of the river, either east or west, within one-half a mile of the location above described.
Mention is made of the ancient fording place in the records of the General Court as follows: ‘Oct. 27, 1648, The General Court voted in answer to the petition of Mr. Nicholas Davidson
, concerning Mistick Bridge. . . . But it appears not in the least that the General Court did engage to the repairing thereof. . . . and that the passage for travellers shall be over the Foarde which is above the Bridge
‘John Winthrop and his home on the Mystic’ was the subject for the meeting of November 19. Mr. Charles D. Elliott, President of the Somerville Historical Society, gave a very interesting paper containing much information about the Ten Hills Farm, which included a large part of Medford south of the river.
A hearty vote of thanks was extended to Mr. Elliott at the close of the meeting.