naming of Medford
Again in our search we ask ‘why Medford
’ and answer our own query, thus—Because the ‘good place upon Mistick’ was to be Mr. Cradock
's farm, and they so called it, from Medford
in the old England
they came from, and which old shire Mr. Cradock
had represented in Parliament since 1620, the eighteenth year of the reign of James the first.
As we had no dictagraph record of Dudley
's pronunciation, we have naturally considered that M-e-a-d
was called phonetically Meed, and so has come the usual interpretation of Medford
, as Meadow-ford
, though in 1855, historian Brooks
gave it as ‘great-meadow’ making no mention therewith of the fording place he knew to have existed.
He directly tells us that in one of the earliest deeds of sale it is written ‘Metford,’ and that after 1715 it has been uniformly written ‘Medford
Meadowford would not have been an inappropriate designation for a specific place
in the river's course; but ancient Medford
or Mr. Cradock
's farm was four miles long.
Now a few words relative to Metford
, and copy of a written note attached to a copy of the History of Medford
) by Caleb Swan
, which is of interest, and never before published.
The above date is two years subsequent to the publication of the book which contains many other interesting notes and is the property of the Medford
In Staffordshire Names and Places
p. 10 (1902) we find
Meaford, 1 1/2 m. N. W. of Stone D1 Mepford, Metford; 1173 Medford; 1251, later Mefford.