In the elevation of the tracks, the granite arch (built by Asa Sheldon
As there is nothing lost when we know where it is
, we are confident that it is still intact.
The present concrete bridge built over, under, and both sides, serves its purpose, but looks inferior to the other so near.
It lacks the character and rugged beauty of the old time structure.
By the ‘taking’ by the Park Commission
, the Welch Express
stable just beside ‘Canal bridge’ disappeared.
Possibly sometime its driven well may be unearthed and utilized—and people wonder how it came there.
In 1902 the street railway was built on Boston avenue, after the present granite arch had been constructed.
The three piers of Chelmsford
granite, built in 1827 by the canal company, were used in the new bridge over the Menotomy
, but the boulder abutments of 1800 still remain.
But before this time, the Arlington-Lexington
sewer was constructed through the ledge beneath the parkway, through the old canal bed, and across the marsh on pile and timber support, and siphons beneath the river below the bridge.
In 1910 the Hillside section had a real estate
boom, and the erection of two and three apartment houses, and one story store property went on apace.
This continued until war-time, but ceased with prohibitive high cost of building.
But one exception should be noticed.
Early in 1918 the American
Woolen Company acquired the factory site, marsh land and buildings of the Stone Timlow Company
and at the present writing is just completing a five story storehouse of reinforced concrete of the most substantial construction.
This is entirely on the marsh land and wholly within the Somerville part of the ‘corner.’
This structure is intended mainly for storage of the raw material or ‘waste,’ which is brought from the various plants of the concern, to be reworked in the other buildings already mentioned or to be erected.
It is the most radical change this part of the old cow-pasture has experienced in all its history.
The works, when completed,