1895 a new enterprise was launched, this time in Medford
bounds—a paper mill.
Whether the projectors really thought that the little spring near the Hillside railroad station would add materially to its water supply or furnish power, is uncertain.
A dike was built from North street some distance westward, and turning extended to the railroad.
In this was a bulkhead and diminutive water wheel.
We have no remembrance of its ever being filled with water by the little brook that flowed beside the railroad and through the marsh to the river.
An artesian well some two hundred feet deep was drilled in the rock strata; and in more recent years an iron pipe laid from the river bed across the marshland to these works, for supply.
A large wooden building with three parallel slated roofs, and an engine house of brick was erected; but the paper manufacture never materialized.
This product was to have been wrapping paper
, and old newspaper stock was to have been utilized by some new process.
After a time the Lee Cycle Co. occupied the eastern corner, but moved away before accomplishing any results.
Next, came Holmes
, establishing the West Medford Laundry
, but after a few months moving into other quarters.
Then an automobile shop which got no further than the experimental stage.
That business was then in its infancy; horseless carriage
it was then called, and few people foresaw the extent to which it would grow.
Next and for a few years, was the Fiber Manufacturing Company
, which made pails and cylindrical receptacles of compressed wood fiber.
But none of these concerns occupied the entire building, and the last seemed to be doing some business, when the property changed hands.
The original chemical works had ceased operation, its plant was demolished and the cinder dump carted away to build sidewalks.
About 1910 came the Stone
, Timlow Company with an increasing leather business combined with that of wool.
In 1912 the four-story brick factory (of mill construction), was erected, largely