John D. Small started business in the large room.We would here observe that Mr. Small's successors are in a building longer used for church purposes. In 1831 the Universalists began their services in ‘Kendall's Hotel,’1 but by the time the Baptists needed accommodations Medford had its Town Hall, that later sheltered the Methodists while their second home was in construction, and likewise Galen James' second colony the Mystic Church, and also the Roman Catholic. The early services of Grace Church were held in the Odd Fellows Hall, though the pleasant fact is recorded that the initial service was in one of the Congregational churches loaned for the service, and, in accordance with the custom of the Episcopal communion on the Christmas festival, was fitly decorated with evergreen.2 We have thus covered the places of beginning of the various orders of religious worship of old Medford, gathered from authentic sources. This is suggested by the quotation which our correspondent found in print nowhere else.
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.