he being next in command to the lamented Colonel James W. Fannin. The flag was presented to Colonel Ward's command, after they passed through Knoxville, Crawford county, Georgia, by the fairest daughter of the State--the beautiful, gifted and highly accomplished Miss Joanna E. Troutman. It was made of plain white silk, bearing an azure star of five points on either side. On one side was the inscription, in rich but chaste colors, “Liberty or death!” and on the other the patriotic Latin motto, ‘Ubi Libertas habitat, ibi nostra patria est.’ The flag was first unfurled at Velasco on the 8th of January, 1836, and proudly floated to the breeze from the same liberty-pole with the first “Flag of Independence,” which had just been brought from Goliad by the valorous Captain William Brown, who subsequently performed such daring and effective service in the navy of Texas. There is something singularly romantic in the history of these two flags. The “Flag of Independence” came from Goliad, where it was first hoisted, just in time to be flung to the breeze from the same staff with the beautiful “Banner of the single Star,” on the occasion of its being first unfurled in Texas. Proudly they floated together. The crimson-dyed sword, in fearful aspect, grasped in a sinewy hand, waved boldly over the placid star as it reposed on its broad field of virgin white, as if to emblematize the chivalric vow of a gallant knight-errant to his lady love, “Thee will I protect, wherever thou goest.” What became of the “Flag of Independence,” we know not; but the beautiful star of azure was borne by Colonel Fannin's regiment to Goliad, and there gracefully floated from the same tall staff which first bore the blood-red sword that waved over, as if to protect it at Velasco. On the 8th of March, 1836, an express arrived at Goliad, from Washington, on the Brazos, officially announcing that the Convention then in session had formally made solemn declaration that Texas was no longer a Mexican province, but a free and independent Republic within itself. On the receipt of this thrilling, this glorious intelligence, the greatest demonstrations of joy were made at the fort — loud and spirit-stirring strains of martial and patriotic music, from “trumpet, fife and drum,” resounded through the “ancient confines of the fortress,” and the shadowy aisles of the venerable chapel of La Bahia. Amid the roar of artillery, the beautiful “Banner of the Lone Star” was hoisted to the top of the identical flag-staff which first bore the broad
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.