previous next

[184] marched from ‘New Gilford’ to the field, a distance of twenty miles, where we were placed in line of battle in the open field, where companies A and H were ordered on picket; after lying in line of battle a half hour we were ordered forward, and advanced a distance of one mile over a very rough and rugged woods-the worst cliffs of rocks there could have been traveled over. On reaching the enemy's lines where they were well and strongly situated, I ordered my regiment to forward, which was gallantly obeyed until within about twenty paces of their line. Here the fire of the enemy was severe. Here the men opened fire on the enemy, and for some time continued, until the left, from the loss of men and their exposed position to a fire from the front and from the mountain on the right, were forced to fall back. The right steadily maintained its position for some time, forcing the enemy to withdraw from their first line and establish their line a short distance to their rear, where they continued their fire. After the contest had continued for an hour and a half, and my whole regiment had been brought to the front the third time only to be driven back, I ordered them to reform in the rear of their advanced position. While doing this I was ordered to take command of the brigade. After this the regiment was commanded by Captain T. J. Eubanks, who reformed and carried it to the front, where the battle-ground was held during the night, bringing off our wounded. In this battle the regiment had two hundred and seventy-five men engaged. There were one hundred and two killed, wounded and missing. On the 3d inst. the regiment was withdrawn a short distance, where we remained during the day, except while engaged in a short fight with cavalry. At night we were still farther withdrawn to the rear. The men and officers acted very well. I cannot close without speaking of those who acted most conspicuously during the hottest of the conflict; Lieutenants Burch and Ewing, Captains Eubanks and Edwards, are especially noticed for their gallantry in leading their men forward and remaining in front of their commands encouraging their men. Colonel Hardwick and Major St. John were very efficient in performing their part until wounded. It is due to state that in the account of missing, twenty-four men were taken prisoners, with Captain Edwards and Lieutenant Christian, of General Law's staff, while posting pickets after night on the 2d inst.

Very respectfully,

J. L. Sheffield, Colonel Forty-Eighth Alabama Regiment.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Download Pleiades ancient places geospacial dataset for this text.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
T. J. Eubanks (2)
O. E. Edwards (2)
J. L. Sheffield (1)
I. M. Saint John (1)
C. C. Hardwick (1)
Ewing (1)
George L. Christian (1)
Burch (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
3rd (1)
2nd (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: