previous next

[484] three pieces--one an eight-pounder, which was placed on the brow of the hill, to rake the principal street entering the town, the other two pieces were imitation cannon, made out of the cylinders of old steam engines.

The attack commenced between five and six o'clock in the morning. In the very beginning of the action Lieut.-Col. Callahan, who commanded a company of cavalry, retired with his company across the river, and it is said that this gallant officer, who claims to be a graduate of West Point, never stopped until he reached Montrose on the Mississippi River. Through the country over which he and a few of his comrades passed, they spread the report that the Unionists were cut all to pieces, and the secessionists were advancing into Iowa. The consequence was that the wildest panic seized the people — some flew to arms and some to the bush.

A portion of Moore's infantry were also seized with the panic, and fled across the river, but seeing their companions standing firm, many of them afterward returned and took part in the fight. The portion of Moore's men which remained amounted to only about 300, yet they stood firm as regulars, and delivered their fire with the coolness of veterans.

After all sorts of a fight, regular and irregular, which lasted for an hour and a half, Col. Moore led his centre to a charge, which was executed in fine style, upon which the rebels broke and ran for life. Most of the enemy had horses, but they dismounted and fought on foot. The result of the battle was ten Unionists killed and ten wounded, two of these mortally, who have since died. The rebels left nine dead and four wounded on the field, and they have since admitted that they carried away 14 dead and 40 wounded. The “Gate City” of this morning states that it has been definitely ascertained that the rebel loss was 43 killed; but it is hardly credible that there was such havoc in such a battle. The Unionists also captured about 40 horses, five wagon loads of supplies, the mock cannon, and a quantity of arms.

Col. Moore pursued the fugitives for three miles; he then returned to his camp, but the next day, being reinforced, he started in pursuit. The Unionists flocked to his standard, while the rebels, being discouraged, were disbanding. When last heard from, Moore was in Scotland County sweeping all before him.

A portion of the Keokuk military performed good service during the fight, by forming on the Iowa side and pouring a galling fire into the flank of the enemy's right wing, across the river, with their Minie rifles.

At the time this action was fought there were two regiments of United States Iowa Volunteers in Keokuk, twenty-five miles from the scene of action. A portion of these were despatched to the aid of the Unionists, but the battle had been fought and won before their arrival. Thus have the Union Guards of Clark and Scotland Counties, almost unaided, put to flight the combined secession forces of half a dozen counties, and, for the present, at least, hold the complete ascendency.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
William Moore (5)
Unionists (1)
Callahan (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: