companies of infantry and two artillery companies.
The aggregate was not more than 1,800 effective men, scarcely one man to every mile of coast exposed to the power of the enemy.
The second regimental organization of infantry, designed for service in Virginia
, was begun early in April, 1861, soon making up the complement of ten companies which were destined to win a name and fame for their State on the fields of the Old Dominion.
The Second infantry went into encampment near the ‘Brick church,’ about a mile from Jacksonville
, almost exactly where La Villa junction now stands, until the 13th of July, 1861, when they were mustered into the Confederate States
service by Maj. Wm. T. Stockton
On Monday, the 15th of July, they left Jacksonville
by rail for Virginia
, arriving in Richmond
on Sunday afternoon, the memorable 21st of July, just as the wires were flashing the news of the great victory achieved by the Confederates
Next in readiness for service was the Third Florida regiment of infantry, organized early in August, 1861, under a call from President Davis
for two additional regiments to assist in the defense of the Florida coast
It was composed of ten companies of the most prominent citizens from counties in south
and west Florida
, some of them having formed part of the volunteer militia of the State
before the war. Among them were the Jacksonville Light infantry, St. Augustine Blues and Jefferson Rifles.
Others of the companies had been organized under the State
law after the war became imminent, and many of them had been called out for temporary service before they were accepted to be mustered in as a part of the provisional army of the Confederate States
For this latter purpose they were rendezvoused on Amelia island
, except the companies from Duval
and St. John
's, which were on duty in their own counties.
The regiment saw little active service during the first year of