The dedication of the soldiers' monument.
ALTHOUGH Usher's History of Medford contains a picture of the monument erected in honor of those citizens of Medford who fell in their country's defense, there is no record given of the ceremony of dedication. Pamphlets containing the oration, and flimsy four page programmes are the only records of the services, and probably only a few of these exist. The date of the consecration was September 6, 1866. A procession formed in the square at one o'clock in the afternoon and was made up as follows:—
- Boston Brigade Band.
- Lawrence Rifles.
- Lawrence Light Guard.
- All those who served in the Army or Navy during the war.
- Officers of the town, the clergy, and past members of the Cemetery Committee.
- Fire Department.
- Mount Hermon Lodge of Masons.
- High and Grammar Schools.
- Citizens of the town.
- instrumental Music by the Band.
- Introductory address by the Chief Marshal.
- original Hymn.