One of the “South battery” guns directly on the public square
The upper photograph shows two 10-inch Columbiads in the White Point or “South” Battery, in Charleston.
This was situated on the extreme southeast point between the Ashby and Cooper Rivers.
It was established for the purpose of affording a last opportunity to stop vessels that might get past Fort Sumter into the inner harbor.
Sumter, however, was so far out, and with Moultrie, Gregg, and the others proved so effectual a barrier to the harbor's mouth, that no use was found for the guns here in the city itself.
How close they were to the heart of the city is shown by the gun in the lower photograph, emplaced on the battery directly in front of the public square.
Charleston was the birthplace of secession, and was prepared to make a stout defense.
Sumter almost single-handed held out until inland communications were cut, and the city was evacuated February 17, 1865.|