previous next

[22] account than you have yet received, of the movements and conduct of Gen. Gregg's command, with such scenes and incidents occurring in the whole of Gen. Pleasanton's command as came under my own observation, and as I have obtained from sources which I deem reliable.

Gen. Gregg moved from Warrenton Junction on Monday, the eighth, encamping that night near Kelly's Ford, a fording place on the Rappahannock River, six miles below the Orange and Alexandria Railroad bridge. His command consisted of the Second and Third divisions of cavalry, a section of artillery attached to each, and a force of one thousand five hundred foot-soldiers, the latter under the command of Gen. Russell. The movement across the river was commenced on Tuesday morning, at about six o'clock, the Second division, commanded by Col. Duffie, taking the advance, closely followed by Gen. Gregg's own division, the Third, and the infantry. By nine o'clock the whole force was safely on the right bank of the river, no opposition to the crossing having been met except such as could be given by a rebel picket of twenty badly scared men, who ran away at the very sight of a blue coat. Here the command was divided into three columns. Col. Duffie, with the Second division and a section of Tidball's old battery, commanded by Lieut.----, occupied the extreme left, and at once moved forward to Stevensburgh, where a regiment of the enemy was discovered, supporting a section of artillery stationed to oppose the advance of our troops. A brief but sanguinary struggle took place, resulting in the capturing of one hundred and fifty prisoners, and dispersing the balance of the force in front. Gen. Gregg, though sending frequently for this command, did not see it again until the movement to join Gen. Buford, who, as stated in a previous letter, had crossed the river at Beverly Ford, and was engaged with a superior force of the enemy. The Third division occupied the centre, and took a road leading to Brandy Station, and the infantry occupying the right, moved along near the river — the object being to unite the two wings of Gen. Pleasanton's command, on either side of the railroad. This was not effected, however, owing to the stubborn resistance of the enemy, they being present in large force, until after the fight at Brandy Station, some account of which will be given in the proper place. The Third division occupied the centre, and as it participated in some of the severest cavalry fighting of the war, I shall endeavor to give its movements somewhat in detail. The First brigade of this division, commanded by Col. Kilpatrick, was composed of his own regiment, the Second New-York cavalry, (Harris's Light,) First Maine cavalry, Col. Douty, and Tenth New-York cavalry, Lieut.-Col. Irvine. The Second brigade was commanded by Colonel Wyndham, and consisted of his own regiment, the First New-Jersey cavalry, First Maryland cavalry, Lieut.-Col. Deems, and First Pennsylvania cavalry, Lieut.-Col. Taylor. Each brigade was formed in three columns by squadrons, the First brigade on the right, and the Second on the left. The ground between Kelly's Ford and Brandy Station is rolling, interspersed with clumps of trees, and not the most desirable for cavalry operations; nevertheless the men of the different regiments succeeded in keeping in excellent order. The division moved toward Brandy Station. The first indication of the enemy in force was the discovery of a signal station on a hill to the right by Capt. J. W. Kester, Aid to Gen. Gregg. Just previous to this, and one mile from the station, a picket of two men was captured. Gen. Gregg, upon being satisfied by the working of the signal-flag that a force of the enemy was near by, ordered Col. Wyndham to advance with his brigade, find the enemy, and attack him. Col. Wyndham moved promptly forward, and when arrived nearly opposite, and to the south of the signal station, a two-gun battery was opened upon the command at short-range. The two guns attached to the brigade were soon in position and at work, and two or three squadrons were sent forward to secure the railroad — a train loaded with infantry was coming up from Culpeper. Our men turned a switch, and the train was run off the track; another train soon followed, but the enemy then had possession of the railroad, having forced the troops occupying the ground to retire. Captain Martin's two guns, with the First brigade, were ordered forward, and took a position south-east of Telegraph Hill. The rebels were soon forced to withdraw their battery, and they moved it across the railroad track to the vicinity of a house, in which it was subsequently ascertained were the rebel Gens. Stuart, Hampton, and Jones, the latter having just arrived from Winchester (the rebel prisoners say) to make arrangements to join the proposed expedition into Pennsylvania and Maryland. Upon this point it appears two rebel colums were approaching. The advance, Colonel Wyndham had attacked and driven back. Following up the advantage thus gained, the First Maryland was ordered to charge, which they did in the most gallant manner, surrounding the house in which the notorious rebel chieftains were plotting. The enemy fought desperately at this point, and several hand-to-hand conflicts took place. Our men were gaining the advantage, when a large rebel force advanced, and they were forced to retire. As soon as the First Maryland had got a little scattered in the melee, the First New-Jersey, Lieut.-Col. Broderick at their head, charged, and was followed in turn by the First Pennsylvania, led by Lieut.-Col. Taylor. At first, as each regiment came charging into the fight, the enemy were forced back, and though their force was much larger than ours, they continued to fall back until largely reenforced. On a rise just at the rear of the house before referred to, Colonel Wyndham's brigade captured two guns. When forced back to near Brandy Station, the guns were dragged along and placed with a section of our own artillery. The enemy dashed upon this battery, commanded by Capt. Martin, with great fury, and killed and wounded nine of the men at the guns with their sabres. By the order of Gen. Gregg, Capt. Kester placed a two-gun

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
8th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: