previous next


Supplementary report of Lieut.-Col. Marshall.

headquarters Seventh-regiment Minn. Vols., camp Williston, on Missouri Coteau, August 5, 1863.
Captain B. C. Olin, Assist. Adjutant-General:
Captain: I respectfully submit the following report of the part taken by the Seventh regiment in the pursuit of and engagements with the Indians subsequent to the battle of Big Mound, on the twenty-fourth ultimo. In my report of the twenty-fourth of July, I detailed the movements of this regiment in that engagement. On Sunday, the twenty-sixth of July, when the column was halted at the Dead Buffalo Lake, and the Indians made a demonstration in front, I was with the right wing of my regiment on the right flank of the train. Major Bradley was with the left wing on the left, the regiment being in the middle in the order of march. Leaving Major Bradley to protect the left flank, I deployed company B, Captain Stevens, obliquely forward to the right. He advanced further than I intended, and did not halt until on the right of and even with the line of skirmishers of the Sixth regiment then in the extreme advance. Thinking it better not to recall him, I advanced the three other companies of the right wing, Captains Gilfillan's, Kennedy's, and Carter's, near enough to support company B, and at the same time protect the right of the train, which was then well closed up on the site of our camp. I remained in this position without the Indians approaching in range until orders were given to go into camp. I had but just dismissed the battalion from the color-line to pitch tents, when the bold attack of the mounted Indians was made on the teams and animals in the meadow on the north side of the camp. My line was on the south side of the camp. I assembled and re-formed the line, awaiting an attack from the south, but the Indians that appeared on that side quickly withdrew after they saw the repulse on the north side, not coming within gun-shot range. I cannot withhold an expression of my admiration of the gallant style in which the companies of cavalry — I believe Captain Wilson's and Davy's, the latter under Lieutenant Kidder--dashed out to meet the Indians that were very nearly successful in the dash upon the teams and loose animals. The rangers, putting their horses on the run, were but a few seconds in reaching the Indians, whose quick right — about did not save them from carbine and pistol-shot and sabre-stroke that told so well. I also saw and admired the promptitude with which Major McLaren, with part of the Sixth regiment, moved from his color-line, on that side of the camp to the support of the cavalry.

On the morning of the twenty-eighth of July, at Stony Lake, the Seventh regiment in the order of march was in the rear. The rear of the wagon-train was just filing out of camp, going around the south end of the lake; a part still within the camp-ground, which extended almost to the end of the lake. My regiment was in line waiting for the train to get out, when the alarm was given. Quickly the Indians appeared south of the lake and circled around to the rear. I promptly advanced the right wing--on the flank of the train south of the lake, deploying Captain Gilfillan's and Stevens's companies as skirmishers. With these and Captain Kennedy's and Carter's companies in reserve, I immediately occupied the broken, rocky ground south of the lake. But not any too soon, for the Indians had entered it at the outer edge, not over five hundred yards from the train. Lieutenant Western, of the battery, was in the rear, and promptly reported to me. I placed his section of the battery-two mountain howitzers — on the first elevation of the broken ground outside the train. The fire of my line of skirmishers, then somewhat advanced on the right of the howitzers, and a few well-directed shots from Lieutenant Western's guns, discouraged the Indians from attempting to avail themselves of the cover of the small hills near us, dislodged the few that had got in, and drove the whole of them in that quarter to a very respectful distance, quite out of range. One shot from the Indians struck the ground near my feet, while I was locating a howitzer.

While I was thus occupied, Major Bradley, with the left wing, Captains Banks's and Williston's, Hi-all's and Arnold's companies advanced out upon my left so as to cover the portion of the train still in camp from the threatened attack from the rear. There was a battalion of cavalry, also protecting the rear to the left of Major Bradley. We thus formed a line from the left flank of the train around to the rear that effectually protected it. The Indians galloped back and forth just out of range of the howitzers, and our rifles, almost of equal range, until the order came to close up the train and continue the march. As the rear of the train passed the lake, I took the right wing to the right flank of the train near the rear, marched left in front, and so deployed as to well cover that portion of the train. Major Bradley, with the left wing, did similarly on left flank. As the column moved forward the Indians withdrew out of sight.

On the twenty-ninth instant, when the column arrived at Missouri River, the Seventh regiment was the second in order of march, and was held on the flanks of the train, while the Sixth regiment, which was in the advance, penetrated the woods to the river. By order of the General, companies B and H were advanced as skirmishers obliquely to the right of the train to explore for water. They had entered the woods but a little way when recalled by an aid of the General.

On the thirtieth instant, companies A, B, and H, Captains Arnold, Stevens, and Gilfillan, were detailed under Major Bradley to form part of the force under Colonel Crooks to again penetrate to the river, destroy the wagons and other property of the Indians on the bank, and to search for the bodies of Lieutenant Beever and private Miller of the Sixth regiment. Major Bradley, with the companies named, participated in the successful execution of the duty assigned Colonel Crooks.

On the night of the thirty-first of July T received

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
Williston (South Carolina, United States) (1)
Missouri (United States) (1)
Coteau du Missouri (North Dakota, United States) (1)

Download Pleiades ancient places geospacial dataset for this text.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
August 5th, 1863 AD (1)
July 31st (1)
July 28th (1)
July 26th (1)
July 24th (1)
30th (1)
29th (1)
24th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: