previous next

[7] part dashing over the Harpeth at McGavoch's Ford to the Lewisburgh pike, and part running clear round the forts and crossing the Nashville pike between them and Brentwood, crossed the Harpeth below Franklin and reached their camp. It was most unfortunate that we could not have had an hour more of daylight, and have gotten a haul of prisoners of some moment, including the general commanding. Our cavalry were gathered together by sound of bugle and marched near the fort on their old camping-ground, and lay down for the night in a drenching rain-storm, shelterless and supperless. The rebels had drawn off their forces from the attack of the forts when they heard the cavalry firing on the Triune road.

The town of Franklin, lying in direct range between the forts and where the rebel artillery was posted, was in a dangerous position, and the most of the terrified inhabitants fled to the cellars or the country. A score of the inhabitants brought their families over the pontoons into the fort, and manfully took up arms against the rebels, proving that there are men in Middle Tennessee who will yet fight for their country when the iron yoke of the Confederacy is relieved from their necks. Several of the houses were fired in the artillery engagement, but they were extinguished — many of them had balls and shells through them, but fortunately none of the inhabitants were injured.

At eight P. M. General Granger ordered a brigade of infantry and a battery of artillery from Triune to Franklin. Marching through the storm and darkness, they arrived at daylight on the fifth. There were reconnoissances made by the infantry and some artillery and a small force of cavalry on the fifth, and there was some little skirmishing, but the enemy had withdrawn his forces to Spring Hill at two P. M. and the dropping shots ceased. The troops that had marched from Triune to the relief of Franklin returned to camp here on the sixth.

The Federal cavalry loss was three killed and four wounded. The rebel loss was twenty-five men and three officers killed and wounded in our hands, (besides those who escaped wounded,) and twenty-five prisoners.

The rebel surgeon who came over to look after their wounded said that General Armstrong acknowledged himself badly whipped, and that it was only the darkness that enabled him to draw off his forces, they having a thorough knowledge of the country.

In the reconnoissance of the fifth, Colonel Faulkner, commanding the Seventh Kentucky, (being part of Colonel Baird's forces,) most unfortunately got severely wounded in the thigh and scrotum by a musket-ball.

Colonel Campbell complimented the officers and men of his command very highly for their efficiency and bravery; also for the “vim” and willingness with which the officers instantly executed his commands.

Colonel Watkins, with the Sixth Kentucky, was ordered to return from the Lewisburgh pike, but failed to get back and participate in the engagement with his regiment on the evening of the fourth.

The next time the rebs “try it on” Franklin, “may we be there to see,” as Cowper says in his Johnny Gilpin.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Franklin (3)
Watkins (1)
Gordon Granger (1)
Johnny Gilpin (1)
Faulkner (1)
Cowper (1)
A. P. Campbell (1)
J. P. Baird (1)
A. J. Armstrong (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
5th (2)
6th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: