previous next


No. 14.-report of Lieut. Col. Enos P. Wood, Seventeenth Illinois Infantry.

Early on the morning of the 6th of April heavy firing was heard in our front, but thinking it proceeded from our pickets, very little attention was paid to it, except to order the men to be ready to fall in at a moment's notice. About 7.30 a. m. notice came that we were really attacked, when our long roll beat, and the regiment, about 400 strong, fell in promptly. After waiting a time for orders, Acting Assistant Adjutant-General Ryan came with orders from Colonel Raith (who was in command of our brigade by seniority) to move to the left of Sherman's division, our regiment forming the right of the Third Brigade. In this position our regiment rested behind the encampment of an Ohio regiment, our left in a ravine. A section of some battery and a few skirmishers were already fighting in our front. After a time the enemy seemed to give back here, and we could see them on the opposite hill deploying men and forming heavy columns of regiments, which very soon commenced to advance.

Our front was now ordered to be changed obliquely on our right, throwing the entire left of our brigade back, so as to be clear of the ravine. Very soon the enemy made his appearance, and our boys opened fire on him, doing fine execution. Our fire seemed to check their advance for a short time, when they again advanced, and as they seemed to be flanking us on the left our regiment changed front again and moved obliquely to the left, the regiment on our right having given way and fallen entirely to our rear. The enemy now took possession of the battery in front of our left, about 200 yards distant, and planting their colors on one of the guns, Lieutenant Davis, of Company K, seized a musket, which had just fallen from the hands of one of his wounded men, aimed it at the rebel color-bearer and fired, when he fell to the ground; but the colors were soon replaced, and the enemy continued slowly to advance. At this juncture the order came to fall back and form a continuous line with the division on our right and about 50 or 60 yards in our rear, which was effected in good order, still pouring in a terrific fire on the advancing foe.

Major Schwartz now requested my regiment to support his battery, which we promptly did until he was obliged to limber up and moved off without losing a gun. In the mean time the regiments oil our right and left had fallen back nearly a hundred yards, when I ordered my men to fall back and form in line again, this move being executed in good order. I found that we must move over the hill to have range on the enemy as they advanced up the opposite side. I consequently pushed my own regiment about 20 or 30 yards in advance of the line, where they could have full play as the enemy advanced. The regiments on our right failing to advance with us to our support, our boys stood their ground well and bravely, doing good execution with their fire until I found we were entirely unsupported both on our right and left, when I again gave the order to fall back.

As we came up to form in line the regiments on our right and left broke up in great confusion. Our ammunition being nearly gone, and having no support, I felt compelled to order a retreat. Facing by the rear rank we moved back near the first field, when I gave the order to move by the left flank, now become our right. The men not all understanding the order alike, here the regiment was for the first time thrown into some confusion. Having lost my horse in the early part of the [142] engagement, and being on foot and also quite weak from previous illness. I could do but little to remedy this. I, however, ordered Major Smith 10 ride on in advance and halt and form our men at the first convenient place, and when I came up found the major had succeeded in getting most of our regiment into line. At this point I found Colonel Marsh, with the remnants of his regiment; also the remains of th( Fifteenth Illinois and some batteries of artillery. Major Taylor no having men enough to work his guns,I detailed all that were left o Company G, of the Seventeenth, about 20 men, to assist his batteries and after consulting with my officers decided to move off nearer th river and get a new supply of ammunition.

This was about noon. I now learned that Colonel Raith had bee wounded and taken off the field, leaving me the ranking officer in ti brigade, and consequently devoted my attention to gathering up all that remained of our command. At 2 o'clock I had succeeded in getting some 500 of the Seventeenth, Forty-ninth, and Forty-third together and at the request of General Sherman moved them out and formed again on his extreme left. One of the Chicago batteries immediately took up position directly in front and opened fire upon the enemy's line, which we could distinctly see about 400 yards distant.

I now deployed my men down a ravine under the fire of our batteries, and formed them into line in a cross ravine, out of sight of the enemy, and advanced cautiously up the intervening ridge until I had them in full view. Here I got in a number of telling volleys, when you came down along our lines from the left and informed us we were unsupported on our left, and ordered us to retire in good order to our old position in rear of the Chicago battery and on General Sherman's left. The fight between the enemy and the battery in our front soon became quite exciting, but our battery seeming to get the worst of it and a number of their horses having been disabled, they were compelled to fall back and leave one of their guns, which was promptly and bravely brought off by our boys.

Thus ended the fight for the day as far as we were concerned. Our orders were to lay on our arms in our places, with which our men complied without a murmur.

About 10 o'clock p. m. I was taken with a severe ague chill, which obliged me to leave the field and seek assistance, leaving my command to Major Smith, who will report to you the labors of the second day.

Both men and officers behaved with great coolness and bravery through the whole day, remaining under the severe fire without flinching, and always promptly advancing at the word of command.


E. P. Wood, Liutenant-Colonel, Commanding Seventeenth Illinois Infantry. General John A. Mcclernand, Comdg. First Division.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: