previous next

No. 39.-report of Lieut. Col. William D. McCord, First Nebraska Infantry.

Hdqrs. First Regiment Nebraska Volunteers, In the Field, near Pittsburg, Tenn., April 10, 1862.
Captain: I have the honor to present the following report of the part taken by the First Regiment Nebraska Volunteers in the battle of April 7, 1862, at Pittsburg:

On Sunday, April 6, at about 12 o'clock m., my regiment was moved by order of Colonel Thayer from camp 2 miles west of Crump's Landing, with a view to connect with the forces under General Grant at Pittsburg. We reached the encampment of our troops near Pittsburg about 7 o'clock p. m. Sunday night and bivouacked under a heavy rain-storm. Company G, Captain McConihe commanding, was thrown forward as a picket about 200 yards in advance of the regiment. About 5.30 a. m. the regiment was moved forward in support of Captain Thompson's Ninth Battery Indiana Light Artillery, occupying a position on its right in an open field immediately in front of a deep ravine and a high ridge beyond. After a short engagement with three of the enemy's guns posted on the ridge in our front we were advanced, by order of Brigadier-General Thayer, driving the enemy before us, and forming a new line of battle one-half mile forward, at which place the enemy opened a most terrific fire of grape and canister on us, killing 1 sergeant and wounding 1 lieutenant and 1 color guard. The regiment was ordered to lie down, or we could not possibly have escaped as well as we did. The enemy was again dislodged. Again we advanced, moving to the right, and forming a new line of battle just under the [198] brow of a hill, within about 150 yards of a large battery of the enemy, which, owing to our position, did us no harm whatever.

The enemy's guns being silenced, wewere by General Thayer again ordered forward, and formed our line in a field, our right resting on the left of the Twenty-third Indiana. There our regiment opened fire upon a body of the enemy who were charging on our line and repulsed them. Again we were ordered forward, and formed a line in a new direction (the enemy having tried to flank us on our left), and opened fire upon the enemy's forces, who were advancing in support of one of their batteries. Here we received the most destructive fire that had yet been opened upon us, losing 3 killed and quite a number wounded, amongst whom were Captain McConihe, Lieutenants Weatherwax, Gillette, Curran, and a number of our non-commissioned officers and privates. The enemy's fire was returned antil the men became short of ammunition, when we were relieved by the Seventy-sixth Ohio, Colonel Woods, our regiment marching through his, by the right of companies to the rear into column. Colonel Woods' regiment then took our position, while we retired to a ravine in our rear and replenished our ammunition. The movements of both regiments were conducted and executed as orderly as could be done on the parade ground. After refilling our cartridge-boxes we again advanced to our old position. My regiment was in the action from 5.30 a. nm. until 5 p. m., and I am proud to say that it steadily advanced and never receded an inch, being at one time alone engaged with one of the enemy's batteries for about twenty minutes.

I cannot conclude without expressing myself in the warmest terms in praise of the gallant conduct of the following officers: Maj. R. R. Livingston; First Lieut. F. L. Cramer, acting adjutant; First Lieut. N. J. Sharp, commanding, and Second Lieut. J. McF. Hagood, of Company A; Captain Baumer, commanding, and First and Second Lieutenants Bimmerman and Lubbes, of Company B; Captain Majors, commanding, and First and Second Lieutenants Berger and Ivory of Company C; First Lieut. Lee P. Gillette, commanding, and Second Lieutenant Provost, Company D; First Lieut. S. M. Curran, commanding Company E; First Lieut. J. P. Murphy, commanding, and Second Lieut. Fred. Smith, Company F; Capt. John McConihe, commanding, and First and Second Lieutenants Weatherwax and Hance, Company G; First Lieut. L. 31. Sawyer, commanding, and Second Lieutenant Clarke, Company H1; Second Lieut. Emory Peck, commanding Company I, and Second Lieut. Edward Donovan, commanding Company K, together with the non commissioned officers and privates engaged in this hard-fought battle. Particularly do I present to your notice Maj. R. R. Livingston, and First Lieut. F. L. Cramer, acting adjutant of the regiment, whose efficiency in carrying orders and otherwise aiding me is worthy of all praise; also Dr. William McClellan, assistant surgeon, who most promptly and kindly attended to the wounded, rendering them the most signal service, and receiving from all the most glowing encomiums for his celerity and skill, rendering aid alike to friend and foe.1

I have the honor to be, colonel, your most obedient servant,

Wm. D. McCORD, Lieutenant-Colonel, Comdg. First Regt. Nebraska Volunteers. S. A. Strickland, Acting Assistant Adjutant-General, Second Brigade.

1 Embodied in revised statement, p. 102.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: