previous next

No. 205.-report of Capt. Tsadore P. Girardey, Washington (Georgia) Light artillery.

camp Jackson, near Corinth, Miss., April 12, 1862.
Captain: I have the honor to report that on Sunday morning, the 6th instant, the battery under my command became engaged for the first time about 9 o'clock with a battery of the enemy, which I observed to be contending with one of our own batteries. The battery of the enemy, being thus exposed to two fires, was soon silenced.

In this engagement we sustained no loss notwithstanding the enemy's fire was skillfully directed toward us. The enemy battery was posted [565] in the rear of a camp that was located about the center of the first line of their camps. One of my cannoneers, after the engagement, went to where the battery was stationed and returned with its colors, which I forwarded to General Withers, commanding Second Division.

After leaving this camp I received orders to take position in front of the brigade on a hill facing the camp of the enemy. In placing the battery in position I observed some of the enemy's skirmishers stationed behind trees in a deep ravine on the left and front of the hill. This fact was clearly established, as I was fired at by several, and immediately Lieut. A. Speliers, of my company,--shot one of them with a Yankee rifle that was taken from the enemy by one of my cannoneers. I reported the same to the general commanding the brigade, and asked for skirmishers to encounter the enemy while placing my guns in a position to fire down the ravine, which request was complied with.

In this engagement Lieutenants Barnes' and Speliers' sections were brought into action. The other could not be placed in an advantageous position. We first fired some canister upon the enemy in the ravine and then shelled their camp. We consequently sustained no loss in this engagement. From this place we pushed forward on the enemy's camp, from which they had retreated and formed on a ridge on the right, where they were screened by a dense growth of bushes. I placed four pieces of my battery fronting the enemy at a distance of about 100 yards and two pieces flanking them on the right. We commenced firing with canister, which we continued to use with terrible effect, they resisting us with desperate valor.

In this engagement Lieut. J. J. Jacobus fell mortally wounded while gallantly commanding his section. Gunner A. Roesel was killed while aiming his gun. Both were shot through the forehead by rifle or musket balls. Lieut. C. Speath was wounded in the right arm. John Halbert was shot through both arms. J. T. Nethercut was shot through the neck, and Thomas J. Murphy and S. A. Ingalls in the hip, all bravely engaged at their posts. Our loss in this engagement would have been greater had it not been for the brave charge made by the regiment under our gallant commander, Brigadier-General Jackson. In three subsequent engagements during the day we sustained no loss excepting 2 horses wounded. A limber of one of my pieces being disabled, I took one from the broken battery captured in the morning's engagement of the enemy and attached it to my gun; also replenished my stock of ammunition from that of the enemy. The Yankee ammunition is in capital order, especially the friction tubes, which are superior to ours. They were of good service in our subsequent engagements.

On Monday morning, the 7th instant, my battery being separated from the brigade, I proceeded forward toward the enemy's lines. Approaching Brigadier-General Cleburne's command, I discovered the enemy's line in the woods beyond an open field. They attempted to form in the rear of General Cleburne's command, who was stationed on my right. I took position directly in front of the enemy and engaged them for a few minutes, when they shifted their position, fronting General Oleburnes command. I then changed front to the right to support General Cleburne, whose forces had made no demonstration to prevent the enemy's position. The enemy's battery opened a heavy fire upon us, killing 2 of my horses and disabling several; also wounding 2 of my cannoneers (P. O. Buckley by a shell, and B. Wolfe by a musket-ball), flesh wounds; both in action at their posts.

Having expended the ammunition of the two pieces engaged, the caissons of the same being detained in passing a branch of a ravine, I [566] ordered them to fall back, and withdrew the three that were in charge of Lieutenants Barnes and Speliers to form on the right. (During the movement the infantry engaged the enemy.) They, having lost several horses, were compelled to leave one of their pieces. I returned to get my piece, and in passing the enemy's camp, near the open field, I perceived the enemy moving toward our left, and I immediately engaged them, and was joined by Captain Robertson's battery, without any support of infantry near. In the midst of a heavy and fierce fire of the enemy's battery I received orders to cease firing. Our brigade (Third) just then passing, I joined and followed them, in accordance with orders, under the impression to make an attack upon some other point. I was then called on to detail my cannoneers to man a battery in General Breckinridge's command, with which I complied.

We arrived in camp on Tuesday, the 8th instant, and on the 9th received orders to return to Monterey.

It was impossible for the entire battery to proceed forward on account of the used — up and worn-out condition of our horses; also much of our harness being broken and unserviceable. One section is now, and has been since that time, on duty at Monterey.

I omitted to state that, at the place of engagement where Lieutenant Jacobus fell, Corporal Hughes captured a banner and Private Hill a marker's flag, which I forwarded to General Withers. I also forwarded nine muskets to the ordnance department.

Corp. J. Van Dohlan, of my company, during the entire actions of both days, gave evidence of distinguished courage and bravery.

In conclusion, allow me to state that the entire command throughout the action fought with cool and determined bravery, and I trust contributed much toward our successful efforts on the battle-field.

I remain, captain, with high consideration, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

I. P. Girardey, Capt., Comdg. Washington Light Artillery, Ga. Vols. Capt. J. B. Cummings, A. A. A. G., 3d Brig., Withers' Div., C. S. Army of the Miss.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: