previous next

No. 183.-report of Col. Marshall J. Smith, Crescent (Louisiana) Infantry.

Hdqrs. Crescent Regt., Third Brig., Ruggles' Div., Camp McPheeters, April 14, 1862.
Colonel: I submit herewith a report of the operations of my regiment on the 6th and 7th instant in the battle of Shiloh, near Pittsburg:

In obedience to your order, on the morning of the 6th I took position, with my regiment on the right of Colonel Looney's (Thirty-eighth Tennessee) [523] regiment (the left of the latter resting on Owl Creek), to guard the road leading to the enemy's camp and to prevent their turning our left, supported by two pieces from Ketchum's battery, commanded by Lieut. Philip Bond. We remained in this position until about 1.30 p. m., when we received orders, through Colonel Beard, aide to Genera] Bragg, to come immediately to the front.

We moved both regiments by the right flank rapidly forward and to the right (my men throwing off their blankets and all incumbrances to facilitate their movements) and passed through the enemy's camps (which appeared to have been the scene of severe conflict) toward the heavy firing in front, passing by the position occupied by General Beauregard, who ordered us to go forward and drive the enemy into the Tennessee.

Advancing about 300 yards farther, through open woods, raked by shell from the enemy's batteries, we came up with Generals Polk, Ruggles, and Anderson. The enemy's battery, sustained by sharpshooters, occupied a hill to the right of an open field, which contained a house, a cotton-pen, some cotton bales, &c., behind which the sharpshooters were posted in considerable force.

After consultation, General Polk directed General Anderson to the right and Looney's and my regiments to the left. I found the fire so heavy from the battery and sharpshooters that in my judgment it became prudent to drive them from this stronghold before filing to the left, which we did by a charge, driving them toward their battery and from the thicket in front of it.

The two pieces of Ketchum's battery came up and were assigned position by me. Lieutenant Bond promptly responded to the heavy fire from the enemy's battery, and by his coolness and precision in a short time succeeded in silencing them. I then filed my regiment around to the left, through a heavy thicket, passing between two of our regiments (of what State I am unable to say) and, advancing under the orders of General Polk, took position in front of the enemy, who, retreating, had taken position behind fences and houses to secure themselves from the fire of our forces, who were pressing them from the front. Our flank fire caused them to break and run to their quarters, where we opened a heavy fire upon them, and filing again to a more advanced position surrounded them, when the surrender of a large number took place. I myself received the swords of many of them, among whom were Colonel Morton, Twenty-third Missouri, and Captain McMichael, acting adjutant-general to General Smith. General Prentiss surrendered on the same spot some fifteen minutes after, not to me, because I was engaged in preventing the escape of those already prisoners, but, I am told, to some private of Colonel Freeman's Tennessee regiment.

That my regiment was in advance of the others at the surrender, and that I was ordered to receive the surrender by General Polk, there is no room for doubt. A flag was surrendered at the same time, but being engaged in advancing on the enemy, I lost sight of it. We also captured at this place a fine bronze 18-pounder howitzer. In the several charges incident to the final surrender of this camp we had several brave men killed and many wounded.

The enemy again formed line of battle in the woods between the camp and Pittsburg, and we formed behind the batteries placed to oppose them, and, after being shelled for some little time, the enemy broke, retreating toward Pittsburg. It is reported that the white flag [524] was raised at this time, which is not so, as the Stars and Stripes were plainly visible.

After their retreat the gunboats opened a most destructive fire, which we endured for some time, not being able to reply, and under orders we ret-red in good order from the point gained, and took up our quarters for the night in one of the enemy's encampments.

I received orders from General Beauregard to be prepared for action at 6 o'clock the next morning (the 7th instant) and to move toward the Bark road. When near General Beauregard's headquarters I received orders to move to the support of General Chalmers, who was then engaged with the enemy. We were formed in line by General Withers, to move forward to the support of the advanced line, with the Nineteenth Louisiana on our right.

As the army advanced the forces in front of us retired, and Captain Hodgson (Washington Artillery) forming his battery in front of us, we supported him. This battery gallantly maintained their position, dealing destruction upon the foe, until the artillery on their left retired, leaving them alone. At this moment the enemy advanced in heavy force, and the artillery, properly fearing such odds, limbered up and filed off to our left. We then advanced, covering the movement of the artillery, saving several of their pieces, and driving the enemy before us.

Here fell Captains Graham and Campbell, two of my best and most gallant officers, and in this same charge fell, killed and wounded, most of the gallant spirits whose loss we now deplore.

The enemy being again re-enforced after having been driven back, in order to prevent being flanked we were forced to retire to the ravine. The First Missouri, lying under the brow of the hill, sent a volley into the enemy, which threw them into confusion, and my regiment, rallying, again charged the enemy.

Here my color-sergeant, Shilling, with 3 of the color guard, were shot down, and the flag was handed to Sergeant Lyons, of the Twiggs' Guards, who bore it faithfully and fearlessly over the hill. This time, with another regiment on our left, we drove the enemy into a wheat field and back to the undergrowth, when, finding them supported by two regiments in ambush, we retired in good order to the ravine. Four times thus we drove the enemy back, every time coming upon us with fresh troops.

At about 3 o'clock, when the troops were ordered to retire, we did so by the order of Generals Hardee and Withers, being held, with other regiments, under command of Colonel Wheeler, of the Alabama regi ment, to protect the withdrawal of the other troops of our army until between 5 and 6 p. m., when we proceeded to a point about 34 miles from Monterey, where we encamped during the night, returning the next morning to this camp.

My men were exhausted, and were absolutely sinking on the way from the effects of fatigue, want of food, sleep, and rest. We left the field of battle a half mile in advance of the point where we commenced the fight, and within that space lay those brave men who had fallen deadL and wounded, numbering 107, a detailed report of which is annexed.

Lieutenant-Colonel McPheeters, Major Bosworth, Captains Hardenberg, commissary, and Gribble, quartermaster, and Adjutant Venable behaved gallantly.

Among the line officers I have great satisfaction in mentioning the [525] following as distinguished for coolness, bravery, and the faithful discharge of their duty:

Company A-Lieutenants Stevens, Handy, and Le Gay; the two last wounded.

Company B-Captain Haynes and Lieutenants Claiborne and Howell.

Company C-Lieutenant Bullitt, who supplied the place ofthelamented Graham after he fell, offering to carry the colors himself.

Company D-Lieutenants Meslier and Forstall.

Company E-Lieutenants Airey and Holmes.

Company F-Captain Austin and Lieutenant Guillet; the latter exhibiting a courage bordering on impetuosity.

Company G-Captain Helme and Lieutenants Mellon and Shepperd.

Company H-Lieutenant Enderle; Lieutenants Fisher and Perry being wounded early in the action.

Company I-Captain Knight, who, though wounded, I found difficulty in keeping from the field; Lieutenants Field, who, supplying his place, conducted himself with coolness and bravery, and Seaman.

Company K-Lieutenants McDougall, supplying the place of the gallant Campbell, and Garretson and Collie.

Company L-Captain Davidson was cool and collected. On Monday I was deprived of his valuable services. Lieutenant Lewis well filled the post. Lieutenant Fellows was seriously wounded.

In regard to the conduct of the privates, there are many that acted with great gallantry and coolness. There are but two, and that particularly on account of their youth, whom I will mention: Paul Lemonier, Company B, and James Hanafy, Company A.

Marshall J. Smith, Colonel, Commanding Regiment. Col. Preston Pond Jr., Commanding Third Brigade, Ruggles' Division, &c.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: