previous next

No. 163.-report of Col. A. J. Lindsay, First Mississippi Cavalry.

camp, near Lexington, Tenn., April 21, 1862.
Major: I have the honor to report the part which my regiment took in the battle of April 6 and 7.

I was ordered by Major-General Polk to repair to Lexington on April 4 and there assume command of nine companies of Mississippi Cavalry.

While at Jackson I received a telegram to march immediately to the neighborhood of Monterey with the regiment. I sent a messenger at once to Lieutenant-Colonel Miller, at Lexington, directing him to start without delay, and that I would meet him at Purdy. I overtook Lieutenant-Colonel Miller a few miles this side of Monterey and assumed command of the regiment.

On the morning of the 6th instant I marched toward the battle-field on the left flank of Major-General Cheatham's division, and kept with it until just before engaging the enemy, when General Cheatham ordered me to pass in his rear. I did so, and shortly after General Cheatham's division became engaged with the enemy. I remained probably an hour or two in General Cheatham's rear, when I received an order from General Bragg to report to him. I did so, and received an order to support some infantry farther up the hill, near where a battery had just been taken. I obeyed the order, and was told by a staff officer of General Breckinridge to place myself near General Jackson's column. I waited there until I received an order from another staff officer to proceed with all possible haste to the river. I arrived with my command at the place where General Prentiss surrendered and reported to Major-General Polk, who, directing me to take command of all the cavalry and go up the river to cut off the enemy's retreat, I directed Lieutenant-Colonel Miller to proceed on immediately with my regiment in that directions, while I was delayed a few minutes to collect all the cavalry I could. Finding amid confusion I could get [460] none except my regiment, I joined it, and arrived at the head of it just as a battery from Michigan had surrendered to Lieutenant-Colonel Miller. This battery was complete in men, horses, and guns, and I ordered it to be taken to General Polk. I saw another battery across a deep ravine, and started with 30 or 40 men to take it. I captured one of the caissons; but on coming up with the battery found myself in the presence of several brigades of the enemy's infantry drawn up in line. They fired at me, but I managed to get under the hill without sustaining any damage. I returned to my regiment and proceeded to the bank of the river, where I captured 6 or 7 prisoners, making in all about 60,or 70 that my regiment had taken. I remained that night until 12 o'clock in the saddle on picket duty, and spent the balance of the night in the enemy's camp.

Monday morning I was ordered to take position on the Bark road. During the day I supported, successively, the divisions of Breckinridge and Hardee, and in the afternoon I was ordered by General Hardee to cover the retreat of his division, which I did, skirmishing with the enemy, and was the last of the army to leave the field.

I sent you a list of the casualties which occurred before I left Corinth.1

I cannot speak too highly of the good behavior of both officers and men of the regiment.

I have the honor to be, respectfully, your obedient servant,

A. J. Lindsay, Colonel, Commanding Mississippi Cavalry. Maj. George Williamson, Assistant Adjutant-General.

1 List shows 1 officers aland 3 men wounded.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: