previous next

No. 175.-report of Lieut. Col. Charles Jones, Seventeenth Louisiana Infantry.

Hdqrs. Seventeenth Regiment Louisiana Vols., Camp, Corinth, Miss., April 11, 1862.
Sir: I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken by the Seventeenth Regiment Louisiana Volunteers in the action of the 6th and 7th instant, near the Tennessee River:

We were brought into action on the morning of the 6th, occupying the extreme right of the brigade until we were exposed to the enemy's artillery, where we remained for some time, until we were ordered, with a portion of the line on our right and left, to take a battery immediately in our front. A Tennessee regiment (the Twenty-second, I think) was in front of us. We were delayed a moment by this regiment, when I gave the order to charge. When we reached the top of the hill the enemy poured into us a murderous fire. The Tennessee regiment before referred to retired by the flank through our lines, cutting their way through the center of our fourth company, separating our right from our left, and throwing us into some confusion. We did not retire, however, until we had poured several volleys into the enemy. We lost several killed and wounded in this charge.

We retired to the foot of the hill to reform for a second attack. The right wing also retired farther to the right, having been cut off from the colors by the Tennessee regiment. They charged a second time with, I think, the Twentieth Louisiana on the enemy's left line of support, when the battery was secured. I charged with the left wing on the enemy's right around the left of the hill, where I received a destructive flank fire from another of the enemy's batteries, as well as from his small-arms. From this position we were compelled to fall back to our first. It was in this second charge that Capt. R. H. Curry, of Company C, and Capt. W. A. Maddox, of Company I, both fell severely wounded.

It was now my object to unite the two wings, which were acting separately — the right, under command of Capt. M. Rogers, of Company A. I found this impossible, and with the left, which was much the larger portion and to which the colors were attached, I advanced by the left flank to take a position about 200 yards in front. In accomplishing this we had to cross a ravine, where we were exposed to a raking fire of shot and shell, as well as from small-arms. It was in passing this ravine that my sergeant-major, Thuron Stone, who had been of great [506] service to me thus far in the action, fell at my side leading the column. He was shot through the thigh, though not dangerously.

On rising the hill First Lieut. T. O. Hynes, of Company K, had his left arm carried away by a cannon-ball. Immediately after I received a very severe shock and bruise by being thrown from my horse, which was frightened by the bursting of a bomb. Having recovered from my fall and secured my horse I hurried on to the action. I could not find my left wing, which, I afterward learned, behaved gallantly under command of Capt. W. M. Otterson, of Company H. I found a portion of the right wing joined with the Confederate Guards and a portion of the Eleventh Louisiana. We charged upon a line of the enemy and drove them from the field. We remained in this position for a considerable time, when General Anderson arrived with the Twentieth Louisiana and ordered the line forward.

At this moment I was wounded in the left arm by a Minie ball and retired. After having my wound dressed I immediately returned to the field in search of my command. I fell in with General Ruggles and reported myself to him. He invited me to remain with him, as the action was drawing to a close. The enemy having retired and left as in possession of the field, and being unable to find more than about fifty of my command, I, with my adjutant, who had received a slight wound, retired with this small force to the ambulance depot, to assist the wounded and remain during the night. Our wounded suffered greatly, having nothing to protect them from the rain, which fell in torrents a greater portion of the night. Many of them lay that night in pools of water two or three inches deep.

On the morning of the 7th I sent my adjutant on to form the regiment, or such portions of it as he could find, near the Big Spring. When I came up with my small command I found that my adjutant had joined some other brigade with what number he could find. I, with what few men I had, managed to gather together about 200 in all, composed of stragglers from different regiments, with the aid of Capt. D. W. Self, of Company B, who had now for the first time appeared upon the field, and some other officers, managed to form a line and keep it in place until ordered by General Ruggles to advance. The general at this instant rode in front of the lines, and, seizing the flag from the hands of the color-bearer, gallantly led them to the charge. In this charge he was assisted by Col.. S. Heard. Captain Self, of Company B, fell severely wounded. Our forces now began to retire from the field.

The officers and soldiers under my command, so far as came under my observation, behaved with much gallantry. They went into action on the second day, however, with much less alacrity than on the day previous, which I attributed to the fatigue and exposure of the previous day and night.

With great respect, your obedient servant,

Charles Jones, Lieutenant-Colonel, Comdg. Seventeenth Regt. Louisiana Vl8s. Capt. W. G. Barth, Asst. Adj. Gen., C. S. Forces.


Hdqrs. Seventeenth Louisiana Volunteers, April 15, 1862.
Sir: The reason why Capt. D. W. Self, Company B, did not appear on the field of battle at Shiloh until the morning of the 7th instant was [507] this: That officer was confined to his bed by a severe attack of pneumonia when the regiment left Corinth on the 3d instant. He (Captain Self) feeling himself able on the evening of the 6th to join his regiment, left Corinth and joined the regiment late Sunday evening, after the action of the 6th had closed.

I am, general, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

S. S. Heard, Colonel, Commanding Seventeenth Louisiana Volunteers. Capt. W. G. Barth, A. A. A. G., Second Brigade, Ruggles' Division.


camp, near Corinth, Miss., April 15, 1862.
This note of Colonel Heard's is transmitted as due to Captain Self whose absence is noted, but not explained, in Lieutenant-Colonel Jones' report.

Patton Anderson, Brigadier-General, Comdg. Second Brig., Ruggles' Div., &c.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: