given employment to quite a number of mechanics and laboring men, as the demands of commerce from time to time called for a larger class of vessels; so the demands of the parties interested in shipbuilding caused the town to vote to widen the draw in the Great bridge
In 1833 Mr. George Fuller
built at his yard above the bridge a ship of 440 tons burden, and was obliged to make changes in the draw in order to allow her a passage down the river.
The town reimbursed Mr. Fuller
for his expense, and in 1834 authorized the Selectmen
to widen the draw when they should find it necessary to do so. Under this vote the draw was widened, and answered all purposes until 1838, when, in answer to petitions, the town appointed a committee to investigate the subject of widening the draw.
In April, 1839, this committee reported in favor of widening the draw 3 feet, and the town accepted their report.
In 1845 Mr. Paul Curtis
had upon the stocks at his shipyard near the Winthrop
-street bridge a ship of 850 tons burden, it being the largest vessel built in Medford
up to that