[p. 33] Hampshire
was aroused, and sent men pouring into Massachusetts
. Col. John Stark
established headquarters at the Admiral Vernon Tavern
, which stood on the east side of Main street, on the corner of Swan street. It was destroyed in the great fire of 1850.
Later, he occupied the Royall House
The New Hampshire
soldiers assembled in Medford
, and enlisted there in the service of Massachusetts
The men were recruited in a tavern having a large hall.
The only one of that description was Hezekiah Blanchard
's, at the sign of the anchor, on the west side of Main street, about one hundred feet south of the bridge.
Half of it was removed about fifty years ago, and made into a dwelling.
It is still standing, and is numbered 133 and 135 Main street.
We have record of only one business man of Medford
who was a Tory.
This was Joseph Thompson
He left town, and the Committee of Safety took charge of his house and lands, leasing them to trusted patriots, and thereby guarding his widowed mother against trouble from reckless young fellows who were inclined to damage Tory property.
, who had been a member of the Provincial Governor
's Council, became panic-stricken when war seemed inevitable.
The winter before he nearly made up his mind to stand for his country, but, overruled by his Tory relatives and friends, he lost faith in the American
He determined to return to his birthplace at the West Indies
, but was prevented by the Battle of Lexington
He was in Boston
when the battle occurred.
He dared not return home, he dared not stay in the town, so he hastened to Newburyport
and took passage for Halifax
From there he went to England
He bitterly repented his course; but he was an absentee, and his property was confiscated.
By the good offices of Dr. Simon Tufts
his estate was kept together.
He died in England