on Water street by laborers digging a cellar.
The bodies were removed to the Salem
-street cemetery by the sexton, Mr. Jacob Brooks
When an old man, he took his grandson, Mr. Vining
, to the spot and said: ‘Here is where the Revolutionary soldiers are laid.
Somebody will want to know sometime.’
After the battle of June 17 Winter Hill
was occupied by Provincial troops, who immediately set about fortifying it. They had few implements to work with, having lost a large part of their scanty store at Charlestown
June 22 the General Court sent a message requesting the town of Medford
‘to immediately supply Major Hale
with as many spades and shovels as they can spare, as it is of importance to the safety of this Colony that the works begun on Winter Hill
be finished, and that they will be retarded unless soon supplied with tools.’
The months between June, 1775, and March, 1776, when Boston
was evacuated, were full of alarms.
The enemy were expected to march out at any time.
ordered, July 12, that one thousand men should be stationed in and about Medford
, considering that number sufficient for the time being.
Skirmishes on the Mystic
Men hardly dared to have their muskets out of their sight.
Busy about his work, some one hears a shot.
Hark! Another! Work is suspended and excitement reigns.
The drums beat at the barracks, a relief detachment is sent out, and after some sharp firing the enemy retreats under cover of the ships.
As the cold weather came on, fuel became scarce in both the Continental
tore down buildings to supply firewood.
The people of Medford cut down the ‘white pine
trees which his Majesty had reserved for his royal navy’ and other trees on Pine hill
and supplied the Continental
Thomas Brooks, Esq.
, furnished the troops on Winter Hill
with wood from his own farm.