spoken of was on the Arlington
side of the river.
(There were two mills, a corn and a fulling mill.) An ancient deed says they were in Mistick river, and according to other ancient deeds they were located a short distance west of Alewive brook, or Menotomy river.
Capt. Tim Wheeler
was the son-in-law of Thomas Brooks, who, in company with Captain Wheeler
, bought of Edward Collins, in the year 1660, 400 acres of land in Medford
They also bought of Mr. Collins
an interest in the mills.
Dec. 23, 1673, the County Court
appointed two committees—one to lay out a highway between Mistick bridge and Woburn
, and the other to settle the highway from Cambridge
, with instructions to the latter committee, ‘that where lands are fenced in, to stake out the road at least four rods wide, and where the land was low and wet, there to lay out the same six or more rods in breadth. . . .’
April 7, 1674.
The committee to lay out the highway between Mistick bridge and Woburn
made its report.
It is impossible to tell from the description where this way was located; such landmarks as the ‘Halfway swamp
,’ ‘Bare Hill
,’ and ‘Elbow Hill
’ are mentioned.
It probably includes substantially the laying out of the year 1646, and is no doubt the way from Woburn
to Cradock bridge as it exists at the present day, through North Winthrop, Woburn, High, and Main streets.
On the above-mentioned day the committee appointed to settle the highway between Cambridge
made its report: ‘From the new County road by the Slate Hill
, over the sorrelly plain through Mr. Winthrop
's farm to the road leading to Mistick Bridge, and from there over Gravelly Bridge, and to the left over the plains to Malden
A portion of this way includes the present location of Harvard street.
Dec. 16, 1684.
The County Court
appointed a committee to view the highway between Woburn
and Mistick bridge, and to make returns of what they shall